custom 3D printed switch panel

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
Hey guys. I just thought some of you might be interested in a little project I'm working on. I am making a switch panel for my mkIII to replace the panel to the left of the steering wheel. there are pictures of my sketch-up drawings attached. the third one has switches that I just download to give an idea what it will look like when its done. hopefully this will be printed by the end of the week.

Attachments

• panel1..PNG
    panel1..PNG
    152.7 KB · Views: 23
  • panel2..PNG
    panel2..PNG
    66.3 KB · Views: 18
  • panel3..PNG
    panel3..PNG
    78.5 KB · Views: 44

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
Interested. I want to hide my rheostat since you only use it.. one time? and.. I want to add a switch or two. If people were interested in this (and you know they will be) would you be able to add an option for retaining certain stock buttons?

hehe

Good job,
-Mike

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
whitemike;1528717 said:
Interested. I want to hide my rheostat since you only use it.. one time? and.. I want to add a switch or two. If people were interested in this (and you know they will be) would you be able to add an option for retaining certain stock buttons?

hehe

Good job,
-Mike

haha yep, I was figuring people would probably be interested in one of these for themselves. I have thought a little about it and I don't think I'll have an opportunity to make many more( it any at all). you see, the 3D printer is my schools and the only reason I'm able to do this is because I know our engineering teacher well. I don't know how familiar you are with 3D printers but to do this panel will probably take anywhere form 3-6 hours. I suppose if a lot of people are interested I could make a mold out of mine(or maybe just a blank without any holes) and then make more that way. although I've never done that before so i don't know how hard that is.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
speedgilligan;1528861 said:
when you say 3D printer are you talking about rapid prototyping? we have a few of those machines at UL as well....pretty awesome stuff

yes I am. they are incredible machines. not the highest quality every, but plenty good for something that is just going to sit inside my car.

speedgilligan

UL Mechanical Engineering
Jul 2, 2009
Louisville, KY
they are pretty ridiculous....we also have one that does metals and its insane to watch

you can turn up the quality pretty high by cranking the resolution in your model, but for a favor job, your guy probably doesnt want it to take 24 hours lol

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
speedgilligan;1529022 said:
they are pretty ridiculous....we also have one that does metals and its insane to watch

you can turn up the quality pretty high by cranking the resolution in your model, but for a favor job, your guy probably doesnt want it to take 24 hours lol

ya, he probably doesn't, I'm actually not sure though how how of quality our printer does. I know its not that nice of one. its small too, it will only print models that fit in an 8" box