Crank but no startup, throwing code 12

Clinton

Power Blue!!
Apr 8, 2005
Sacramento, CA
1989 Turbo 5spd California Car.

Well, folks, I'm having a bit of a problem.

Last monday, I had a problem with my electrical system -- cliffs notes version of this being that I replaced my grounding straps before tracking it down to being a little wire connected to the positive battery terminal that went south on me. Until I discovered and fixed that, I could massage the battery terminals, and start the car, but had to keep it over 1500RPM to prevent it from stalling, becuase for some reason the battery was dropping out of circuit, and the car was operating exclusively off the alternator. (More details here.)

so in my testing, put a new negative terminal on the old ground straps, replaced the ground straps (because I thought it was a bad ground problem from the condition of my old negative terminal) before discovering that little positive wire. I proceeded to whack off the lug at the end and crank it down under a washer on the positive terminal as a temporary measure until I can solder/splice/crimp/heatshrink more wire and a new lug on. I replaced this wire with the negative terminal still connected, and got a few little sparks, but nothing major.

Now, when I go to start the car, it cranks fine, doesn't seem to have any electrical problems that it had before (no lack of starting, nothing out of the ordinary) but I get no ignition. I stuck a paperclip in, and got Code 12, telling me I lack an RPM signal to the ECU.

I think I -must've- fried something when replacing that positive wire, but doing so fixed my problems with cranking and getting juice. The ECU doesn't seem to be cooked, 'cos I can read codes out of it.

What in the name of jebus could I have fried and/or broken to cause my car to start in the morning (with electrical problems) but not in the afternoon (with the electrical problems fixed)?

This car be my daily driver for the moment, so I'd rather like to get it fixed as soon as I'm able :p I'm hoping it's something that someone here can point to and say "Oh, hey! it's that!" since I'd rather not put too much money down on this. I'm just right now putting a downpayment on a house, so money's a bit tight :p

I think I've covered anything, glad to provide more information though :)

Thanks in advance!

CCC

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun