coolant/antifreeze brand question

megachao

Jul 22, 2007
Redlands, CA
hello all,
I heard the green coolant is bad for raidiators when i was searching though the forums. so i was wondering what red coolants/antifreeze brands that are good.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Not that coolant color means much these days (it's just dye) but whomever told you that doesn't know anything about coolant chemistry. You won't go wrong with the OEM stuff but I prefer to use G-05. Better than OEM in my educated opinion.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
just searched on that G-05 stuff, valvoline seems cool. never heard of that specific coolant from them tho or even seen it in auto stores. would the ford and chrysler have that in the dealerships.. you know outta curiosity? maybe I'll try that sometime. but back on original topic oem red coolant seems best unless you go with jetjocks vavoline.

hey jetjock, what do you think about redlines coolant wetter or whatever its called? you know that semi red shit thats about 10 bucks and is supposed to help keep the temps down.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
GO5 can be had at AutoZone among other places. It's an HOAT long life coolant that combines the best of HOAT and low silicate conventional chemistries. If you do run it after a month pop the thermostat out and look at it. What you see will be what G05 is doing to the inside of your cooling system. It's a good thing.

Water Wetter is a surfactant. Surfactants work best with straight water. Some people have reported slime when using it in glycol. Anyway, it's surfactant properties are much reduced when used in a glycol/water blend. It does have a good anti-corrosion package though (since it's made for water it needs one) so adding it to glycol will replenish the coolant's own add pack if it's been depleted. Not worth it imho.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Looks to be straight PG like the Evans stuff except this you cut with water. That makes it no different than the low-tox PG coolant you can buy at auto stores. In either case PG isn't as good as EG at heat transfer, especially pure PG like Evans, although it'll let you run a zero pressure system. You'll have to get used to Evans running at much higher temps too. Not that it'll hurt the engine but some people can't get past seeing 300+ degrees.

Pure PG also gets real thick in cold weather (note the warning at the bottom of the page) and the cooling system usually has to be modified. The PG you can buy at the auto store (Sierra for example) will work without modification as will this stuff if cut with water but still not quite as good as EG for street use.

Remember, every coolant out there (PG aside) is 95% EG. Whether it's Prestone, GO5, or OEM it's made of the same stuff. It's only the additive chemistry that differs among coolants.