Computer device won't work.

mattgo

Oct 15, 2006
Anacortes, WA
I just bought a AMD socket A 2400+ processor, and put it in, but when I tried to start up my computer, it didn't work. The computer was running but the screen was just black. So I put the processor that I've been using back in and it worked like a charm. The processor I'm using is a Socket A 1700+. Am I doing something wrong?

I really want to fix it, because my processor speed is currently 1.47ghz and with the 2400+ it will go up to 2.0ghz. (And I want to load some games but the minimum requirement for processor speed is like 1.7ghz.)

(IF ANYONE HAS A AMD ATHLON XP 2100+ SOCKET A, I'LL TAKE IT. IF YOU'RE GIVING IT AWAY OR WANT SOME MONEY IN RETURN, I'LL PAY FOR IT AND SHIPPING)

Thanks

Last edited:

mattgo

Oct 15, 2006
Anacortes, WA
damnit, it didn't work. Another black screen. I guess I'm returning this stupid CPU and upgrading my hardware. Going to frys tomorrow since I'm heading down to Renton anyways with my dad because he's getting a hayabusa. Sigh...If battlefield 2 wasn't such a freaking great game, I would not do any of this. To play the game I need atleast 1.7ghz of cpu speed and I only have 1.47ghz. But whatever, it's worth it to me. Gonna go there, buy a new motherboard and cpu package and 1gb or ram.

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
mg89 said:
but shouldn't the computer pick up the cpu, and go straight to setup without reseting the BIOS to default?
err didnt fully read ur post.. check to make sure your cpu FSB will work with ur current speed of ram.. (some motherboards/chipsets only allow certain speeds of ram with certain speeds of FSB) The incorrect speed of ram can cause video not to show up.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Your problem would be easier to solve if you posted your computer specs. Particularly the motherboard, how fast the memory is, what the front side bus (FSB) speed of the new processor and the old processor is, etc. I'm guessing that something just isn't set right for the new processor. Either the motherboard doesn't support it (may just need a BIOS update or you may need a whole new motherboard), the RAM is too slow for the FSB, or you need to change some settings in the BIOS (or jumpers on the motherboard if you have a really old motherboard).

By the way, you should get very familiar with BIOS if you aren't already and are going to be working on your own computer. It's a pretty basic skill and important skill to have.

Also, no, it does not necessarily have to just work. The new processor almost certainly has a faster FSB so I wouldn't have expected it to just work. Another question, is this computer one that you built yourself originally or did you buy it from a store or did someone assemble it for you?

Keep in mind increasing your processor speed will not necessarily help that much with games (unless they are the kind of games that don't even let you start them if you don't meet the minimum requirements). A better graphics card is almost always a better investment for gaming.

mattgo

Oct 15, 2006
Anacortes, WA
swaq said:
Your problem would be easier to solve if you posted your computer specs. Particularly the motherboard, how fast the memory is, what the front side bus (FSB) speed of the new processor and the old processor is, etc. I'm guessing that something just isn't set right for the new processor. Either the motherboard doesn't support it (may just need a BIOS update or you may need a whole new motherboard), the RAM is too slow for the FSB, or you need to change some settings in the BIOS (or jumpers on the motherboard if you have a really old motherboard).

By the way, you should get very familiar with BIOS if you aren't already and are going to be working on your own computer. It's a pretty basic skill and important skill to have.

Also, no, it does not necessarily have to just work. The new processor almost certainly has a faster FSB so I wouldn't have expected it to just work. Another question, is this computer one that you built yourself originally or did you buy it from a store or did someone assemble it for you?

Keep in mind increasing your processor speed will not necessarily help that much with games (unless they are the kind of games that don't even let you start them if you don't meet the minimum requirements). A better graphics card is almost always a better investment for gaming.

My did built it a while back in 2001. He's been helping me, but he's been kind of busy and just went to sleep 5 minutes ago. I did ask him about the BIOS setting to default. He did it for me but it still didn't work. I'm not messing with my computer anymore, because I want to do it under the supervision of my dad, just in case I screw anything up. Now I just want answers to some questions I have.

Here's a question- what's better AMD or Intel?

mattjk

Permanent Ban
May 18, 2006
Huntington Beach
www.cardomain.com
Find out the model, and try a bois update. your motherboard may be too old to support that cpu. A bios update will take care of that... also most motherboards are jumperless, so it will automatically set the clock rate.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
I had an ABit KT7A socket A motherboard that I flashed a few times (Originally had an 800MHz Thunderbird in it), eventually going up to a 2100+ I believe.

Couldn't have gone beyond that though. My guess is your mobo won't support the chip, but I could be wrong. What board do you have?

mattgo

Oct 15, 2006
Anacortes, WA
How would I find out what model it is? If I have to check the motherboard itself, I'll just wait until the morning so my dad can check and do the update.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
steven89 said:
err didnt fully read ur post.. check to make sure your cpu FSB will work with ur current speed of ram.. (some motherboards/chipsets only allow certain speeds of ram with certain speeds of FSB) The incorrect speed of ram can cause video not to show up.

DO WHAT? thats makes no since at all man.
FSB is only as fast as your ram. Has nothing to do with video.
If you have 400mhz ram, and your CPU FBS is 233 then your ram is going to run at 233.
your CPU FBS is only as fast as your ram is.

Also to answer your question about which is better AMD or Intel.
Before I ramble on about I/O process proccess of Intel Vs. AMD go read up on how they have different ways of doing the I/O.
In basic terms, AMD has more I/O but does them faster.
Intel has less but does them slower.

I don't wanna go deeper cause it will prolly confuse the hell out of you.

Try updating the bios, that might work.
Edit: jeff got it first.

mattgo

Oct 15, 2006
Anacortes, WA
is there any way I can figure out what the motherboard is without, taking apart the case? (please no smart ass answers like "look at the box it came in" because it's a 5 year old hand me down computer, I don't have the box)

mattjk

Permanent Ban
May 18, 2006
Huntington Beach
www.cardomain.com
5 years old? Yeah, it probably doesn't support the higher clock frequency.

You will have to remove the cover, and somewhere on the motherboard will have the model number printed on it. Also look for a REV. number. That is important for choosing the correct bios file.

mattgo

Oct 15, 2006
Anacortes, WA
oh ok^ Like I said, I'll probably get a new system tomorrow depending on what kind of package deals they have at frys. I wanna see if I can get a motherboard and cpu running at 2.2ghz or faster and 1gb ram.