computer careers Please read,

A

ArthurRitus

ok. im 18 years old, graduated from high school in 2006, and since then just been working part time, trying to figure out what i wanted to do with my life. At first i was going to start an electrician apprentinship, which i thought was cool because it was work+school combined. but i dont want to hate hate work/school, and i feel like i would. So i want to do something with computers, because ive always been, and always will be(technology geek i guess =\ ). Can some one please pitch some ideas, because i feel like i cant think myself, since ive never experienced the jobs, and wouldnt know about the job good enough. Also, can you please include the pay they make, and a good school would be to go to,

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
Go to college and get your bachelor's in something computer oriented. I'm basically in my last semester of Computer Engineering (well basically, I have one class in the fall and then I'm done). It's cool stuff and very interesting. You learn to build electronic circuits, power and control systems, computers and then you learn how to program them through numerous different languages. All in all it was kind of tough, but worth it.

The base pay is amazing for a kid right out of school:

Univ of Illinois website said:
Computer Engineering range: $50,000-$80,000 mean: $59,700

Computer Science range: $46,000-$82,000 mean: $60,700

http://www.engr.uiuc.edu/ecs/employers/salarystats.php

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
its quite a bit of work, but fun because you not only get to be a geek, you get to use your hands as well (depending on which area). im majoring in Information Technology and getting my A+ cert while working for the IT department at school. i love this shit

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
I love computer science, and I should be able to make a good amount in Software Engineering. I recently completed a 6-month internship at IBM, where I made a bit over $20k before taxes and I'm starting another one in April at Garmin AT.

Whatever you do you should enjoy it. If you don't enjoy what you do for a living then you'll have a hard time enjoying your life.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
You could always serve your country for a couple of years and learn a trade in the process. I know a guy who got out of the Air Force after 6 years who is making $80,000 a year as an electrician for a construction company that belongs to a friend of his family. Sometimes "knowing people" helps.
Keep in mind that eletrical work is a little different than electronic work. I've seen starting electrician jobs in my area that make crap pay, but electronics folks seem to do alright. I think it all comes down to what makes you happy though. Some electricians make more than a respectable amount of scratch. I'd rather make a decent amount of money and be happy than make an obscene amount of cash and be miserable.

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
Here is what you do. Forensic Computer Expert. Look it up. Get into training for it. Here is the bottom line . $150.00 per hour is the LOW end of what you can charge. This is a very new field. I do this here in the Tampa/ St Pete / Clearwater area. I get calls from as far as Miami. (4 hours away)

Sometimes you will have to testify in court. (it’s not that bad) Remember you are there as the EXPERT. You are getting $150.00 per hour to be there. You can be hired by

1. Local FBI
2. Local Police
3. Public Defenders office
4. State Attorney’s Office
5. Independent Lawyers

Other great news. 3 of the 5 on the list pay UP FRONT , You get a retainer before you do any work. ($2000.00 min) The Public Defender and State Attorney pay when the job is over. So on the average you will make about $2000.00 per job!

EDIT - I forgot the best part. You are the boss! You keep all the money; you DO NOT need a staff. You really don’t NEED and office because all your work is done on location. Your cell phone is your office number (get one with a big battery).

The only part that can be a little annoying is that you really are open for calls every day till at least 9pm. Lawyers have called me as late at 10pm on a weekend! Voicemail is a great thing; however you have to keep these guys happy.

Last edited:

comadreha

VicDic
Aug 13, 2006
Inland Empire, CA
Finally, something I can talk about where I have a little bit of experience in.

I will keep the post short, but will expand if requested.

There are multiple paths to take regarding computer-related careers. When I got started about 10 years ago, Computer Science majors were typically the ones who went on to become software programmers. Don't know about now. I chose the administration side of things. Started as a PC Technician and with a little experience and worked my way up to Junior Network Administrator then to Senior Network Administrator/Engineer.

Most of the computer programmers I've worked with don't dwell too much in the Administration side of things. The admins deal with PC/Server setup, troubleshooting, updating, etc. Very rewarding, but can also get very stressful during the hard times (system failures, viruses, etc).

There were other good points made by the other posters.

- Get a trade (electrician, repair, etc)
- Use Military enlistment to get a headstart on a career. I am prior service, so can help with this. You can also store up college money using the GI Bill and other similar programs.

You can also get a headstart by utilizing the community college system, if money is a little tight. They typically have computer related curriculums that can lead to certifications; A+ for example.

As for salaries, computer-related industries are hottest on the coasts especially CALI. Go to www.salary.com and make some comparisons for the various career fields.

Good Luck and if you need more info, post or IM.

A

ArthurRitus

thank you to all who replied, i appreciate it, anyone else got any?