coming back after 3 long years and need guidance

xDBOYx

May 24, 2006
Jersey Shore
hey guys ive been missing for 3 years and after selling my 1990 hardtop turboin 2006, im coming back now and on the market for another mk3.. click here to see my old and first supra http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32515

so the question is what would u guys pay for somethign like this?, what should i look for when i check this car out and while test driving it? here we so this is what i know about the car so far after talking to the owner for 2 hrs.

1. 1992 Turbo Targa 5 speed
2. Car has 114,000 original miles
3. 3 owners, current owner have all receipts for repairs and service.
4. Teal w/Charcoal cloth interior. The interior is in extremely great condition. Exterior needs some MINOR attention and could use a new paint job to be perfect. Body is straight with original paint. The car mechanically is super straight and tight.
5. New Eibach performance springs,
6. New Tokico Illumina electronically adjusted shocks
7. Has TEMS from the factory
8. NEW cross-drilled rotors (4) along with high performance carbon fiber brake pads.
9. New stainless steel brake lines.
10. Brand new Kumho performance tires.
11. Many extra parts that are worth probably close to a $1000 dollars that will be included in the sale. Seals, window trim, spark plug wires, performance spark plugs, extra interior parts, etc. (ACCORDING TO THE OWNER)
12. Never been rebuilt or wrecked. but the 2nd owner was rear ended lightly but theres no frame damage and it was replace wit a new bumper and paint, current owner has all the receipt
13. MOST IMPORTANT: the headgasket been changed out already (thank god) i believe he said it was replaced with a MHG but not sure what stubs was used but he has the receipt for that also.
14. few dents here and there
15. 2 small rust spots, i believe he said by headlight cover and on one of the door handles

this is what ive learned from the owner... and here are some pics:
3k23p13l6ZZZZZZZZZ96cc3f53f44ef231745.jpg
3nf3k63o2ZZZZZZZZZ96cbf06af61c007126e.jpg

3nf3k23p0ZZZZZZZZZ96c66bc7d59705c188a.jpg
3n03oc3p8ZZZZZZZZZ96c8e4b6085607e17ae.jpg

please gimme your input on what you guys think.. im going to look at this car saturday and hope everythign goes well.. any tips and suggestions would be appreciated because its been 3yrs since i purchase my first supra and its like im a noob again =( thanks i appreciate it and look forward to seeing the supra family again

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
What happend to the front bumper in the corner? Is that just paint falling off on it's own accord or was it flexed by going over something? Is there hairline cracks in that bumper? I haven't kept up with prices too much lately so I can't help too much there, but from what I can see (other than that bumper) it looks pretty clean.

Test drive it for sure. Look for the easy things like does it blow any blue under acceleration (burning oil), or does it blow any black (running rich, possible dead 02 sensor). I know it's a fairly noisy valvetrain but listen for anything unusual in terms of clatter (shim adjustments). Along with that, in neutral give it a little shot of throttle and listen for any sort of knocking while the rpm's come down (early rod knock). These are things I would look for right aways no matter how well taken care of a car looks to be or how anal the owner has been about repairs.

WaKonabi217

I want Boost
May 18, 2009
Vancouver
Well...as far as I can tell that'd probably go for about $5500-6500 depending on where you live and how bad the guy wants to sell it.

xDBOYx

May 24, 2006
Jersey Shore
radiod;1361419 said:
What happend to the front bumper in the corner? Is that just paint falling off on it's own accord or was it flexed by going over something? Is there hairline cracks in that bumper? I haven't kept up with prices too much lately so I can't help too much there, but from what I can see (other than that bumper) it looks pretty clean.

Test drive it for sure. Look for the easy things like does it blow any blue under acceleration (burning oil), or does it blow any black (running rich, possible dead 02 sensor). I know it's a fairly noisy valvetrain but listen for anything unusual in terms of clatter (shim adjustments). Along with that, in neutral give it a little shot of throttle and listen for any sort of knocking while the rpm's come down (early rod knock). These are things I would look for right aways no matter how well taken care of a car looks to be or how anal the owner has been about repairs.

i think this is the paint issue he was talking about, carfax shows no accidents but owner was honest and told about that rearend accident from the 2nd owner so im sure he woulda told me about the front end..

WaKonabi217;1361421 said:
Well...as far as I can tell that'd probably go for about $5500-6500 depending on where you live and how bad the guy wants to sell it.

owner says he must sell its the car actually droped 600 bucks from the original asking price so i think he needs to sell.. i wanna offer him 4500 and work my way to 5k tops

David_Nguyen

Apr 16, 2005
Canada
the interior does'nt look like its charcaol grey looks like my 89 light grey could be picture or he might have swapped the interior...also when you test drive it drive 100 mph that way you will know body and steering feedback is firm cause i ve owned 3 supras they all handle different past 80 the current one i have has 180kms and was way tighter then my car that had 200kms as the speeds increase you will see a major difference...

xDBOYx

May 24, 2006
Jersey Shore
David_Nguyen;1361521 said:
the interior does'nt look like its charcaol grey looks like my 89 light grey could be picture or he might have swapped the interior...also when you test drive it drive 100 mph that way you will know body and steering feedback is firm cause i ve owned 3 supras they all handle different past 80 the current one i have has 180kms and was way tighter then my car that had 200kms as the speeds increase you will see a major difference...

swaping the interior could have been possible cz the car is coming with spare interior parts, and its also clean inside so maybe he did swap out the older nasty interior for this one... now that you mention it does look like my 90 grey interior too

xDBOYx

May 24, 2006
Jersey Shore
is there anyway to tell if a cars been converted from auto to 5spd? can i tell from the vin? i know to tell if a car was turbo the vin would say JT2MA71 instead of JT2MA70.. does it go the same for auto or 5spd? and this car has tems does that mean it has the sports package wit the lsd ?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I'm not sure if TEMS definitely means sports package, but an LSD is easy to spot. They have a LSD sticker on them just to the right of center, and going from top to bottom.

PM me if you get it, and I will send you an invitation to join the 92 Owners Social group.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I'm not sure if TEMS definitely means sports package, but an LSD is easy to spot. They have a LSD sticker on them just to the right of center, and going from top to bottom.

PM me if you get it, and I will send you an invitation to join the 92 Owners Social group.

xDBOYx

May 24, 2006
Jersey Shore
ForcedTorque;1361679 said:

where is the sticker located? is it on the rear diff casing?

so far what does everyone think of the car? whos saying yea its good get it and who sayin its a no go dont get it?.. im thinkin this car is legit and isnt bad for 115k miles and 3 owners.. but i will definately know when i check it out this weekend... right now my biggest concern is the rust hehe..

WaKonabi217

I want Boost
May 18, 2009
Vancouver
xDBOYx;1361690 said:
where is the sticker located? is it on the rear diff casing?

so far what does everyone think of the car? whos saying yea its good get it and who sayin its a no go dont get it?.. im thinkin this car is legit and isnt bad for 115k miles and 3 owners.. but i will definately know when i check it out this weekend... right now my biggest concern is the rust hehe..

Whats the seller asking for it/what do you plan to offer?

xDBOYx

May 24, 2006
Jersey Shore
does anyone know how to check if the car is originally a 5 spd and not a converted auto? i know u can check the vin to see if the car is turbo or not but how do i check to see if its a 5spd ?

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
You can tell if it was an auto by the dash harness. There will be many wires that are there on the plug that mainly runs the automatic transmission. Most people that covert never put in a new dash harness.

David_Nguyen

Apr 16, 2005
Canada
if the guy is williing to sell then you know the dash where glove box is take it out then the black cover I notice that my autos had ect computer which is an extra plug also mybe says 5 speed but what if insurance paper say he has an auto lmao try fk who knows bro good luck....definitly nice car