Cold studder...?

ggeiss240sx

Nov 8, 2005
Laramie, WY
www.cardomain.com
When I start my car and its still cold the engine seems to have very low power. In park ill tap the throttle about 1/4 down and the RPMs will fall and then rise like normal, like it mis-fires. But when it warms up the problem will go away and it runs like a champ. It doesnt blow any smoke and as far as I can tell is in tip-top shape.

Some info about my setup. Its basically a 7m-gte short block with 7m-ge manifolds, sensors, electronics, manifolds, etc. It was a non-turbo then I bought a 7m-gte which came with the block, internals, head etc...(short block)

Any clues? Im thinking its retarding the timing for some reason... I know you shouldnt run the engine hard when its cold and im not doing that at all. But this doesnt seem right...

DaSuprawolf

Im SICK of N/A
Dec 29, 2005
ChicagoLand
i have a simmilar problem, but my 88 N/A 5spd is really slow when its cold, no low end power at all, and it hesitates, but once it warms up, it awesome, totally opposite, sorry to use post, hope to get help for us.

NeoJester

Banned
May 2, 2005
Emo
i have a similar problem, it feels like it have no power while its cold untill it gets to 3500+rpm then it drives normally, after it warms up it runs like a stallion

Toyotaxtreamteam

Feb 26, 2006
Mass
me too seems this is something we need to get to the bottom end of, could be also robing power from us even when warm but we don't know any help from someone who has fixed this problem

RIPDOTCOM

May 22, 2005
Tallahassee, FL
First thing I would do is pull plugs #5 and #6 and look for oil in the galley , blow it out with a compressor , clean the plugs and see what happens. then tighten your valve covers down.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
I have yet to experience this one. Maybe I am the last man on earth that is olds,cool enough to actually let my shiat warm up. You really oughta let it hit 1000 rpm's before you take off.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Warmup is bad for a motor.....

As soon as it will run enough to let you drive do so nice and gently as this will bring the operating temp up quicker and get you off cold start enrichment faster.

The longer it's running rich the longer you're washing Oil off the cylinder walls the more wear you're causing :(.

Another point, you fully warm the motor up then drive off and think "hey I'll hit it it's warmed up now" BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ wrong! what about every other component that hasn't been turning while it's been sitting warming up?

ie: Gearbox, clutch, Diff, Wheel bearings and so on?

poppincaps88

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Cali
Didn't know letting it warm up that much wasn't good. I'll keep that in mind from now on.

I'm always careful about letting the rest of the car warm up even after the engines warmed up nicely. Usually drive it a good fifteen minutes before even thinking about letting her loose a little.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Your problems sound like trouble in the coolant temp circuit. As the car warms, the resistance in the sensor goes down, the opposite of nature. It was designed that way. Anyway, low resitance in the sensor retruns most of the 5 volt refrence signal the computer sent. I would check the connector to see that the contacts are somehow touching, making the ECU think the car is cold, and not putting out enough fuel for good combustion. The sensor could also be electrically short, meaning no resistance at all.

Never drive the car hard until it is warm. Start it. Let it idle for 10 seconds, then drive easy until normal operating temps. Exactly as it states in your owners manual.