Clutch Problems, Again

queenskid926

Tires yeling @ every Lite
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
I replaced the slave cylinder, master cylinder and all the rubber lines and soft lines and I'm still having problems. After replacing the slave cylinder, the clutch work for a week and now its acting up again. After you depress the clutch pedal to disengage it, when releasing the pedal, it will only come back up about half way. I have to use the tip of my foot to flick the pedal back up all the way. Now this only happens when operating the clutch pedal normally or slowly. If i just stomp on the pedal and take my foot off aggressively, as in just dropping the clutch, the pedal returns back to its normal position.
The master cylinder and slave cylinder are all new from Toyota. I looked under the dash and everything looks ok. Nothing is bent or binding or anything. Clutch is a new Center force clutch with less than 2,000 miles on it by the previous owner.(I have the paperwork to verify it.)
So what could it be? Throw out bearing? Release fork? How do i check these?

Thanks

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Clutch spring? Are you sure it is installed? if so, is it installed correctly?

When you release the pedal and it does NOT come up, does the car go into gear? Or is the clutch still disengaged? If the car goes into gear just fine, but the pedal simply doesn't rise I would be looking at the pedal assy above your foot.

When did the problem start? Did it occur all of a sudden or progressively? With the car off can you hear anything if you very slowly press the pedal in and out?

Last edited:

queenskid926

Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
yes the car goes into gear fine. To get into exact details, Your suppose to have a little bit of freeplay with your clutch pedal. When I'm releasing the pedal, the pedal rises and stops at the point were if u touch the pedal it will begin to dissengage and there is no freeplay. When i use the bottom of my foot to flick it back up, It comes back up to the original height where there is freeplay. This happen progressively within a week. There is no noises when im slowly pressing the pedal in and out. Thankyou SupraRx7Nut for your input. Do you still think that its with the pedal assembly? It has not gotten any worse, its the same now as it was a few days ago. Car is driveable, just this is annoying.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
hmm... Well if its not the pedal assy, then it would have to be a part of the clutch assy.

I really don't know what would cause it to do what you are describing though. Maybe a sticking throwout bearing? maybe that is catching on the input shaft spline *just* after engaging? :dunno:

I'm puzzled, but I'm interested to find out exactly what would cause this problem if the hydraulics are all in order.

Someone with more knowledge than myself (most others on here :)) should chime in.

shepfly

Jul 23, 2007
Ohio
You said that you replaced all the operating components? Why? Was it operating this same way before you replaced these parts? Just curious!

queenskid926

Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
my master cyclinder was going out and leaking so i had that replaced. That when this clutch issue started happening a few days after. I thought that it was because i didnt replace the slave cylinder as well so i replaced the slave and all the lines. It work perfect for a few days and now this is happening again. I had my mechanic do all the work, he own a mk3 and im taking it to him in the morning to see wat it is. I kno its not the hydraulic system. Its all brand new toyota parts from the dealer so it has to either be with the pedal assembly or clutch assembly. Crossing my fingers and hoping its the pedal assembly.

queenskid926

Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
Dam i got the verdict. I need a whole new clutch. Im never buying centerforce clutches again. How does it fail in a matter of months. Less than 5xxx miles ago. He said that the problem is the pressure plate release fingers are sticking on something i dont remember. I was too sad. Oh well, its time to upgrade.

sbenson619

Nov 2, 2007
San Diego
the same thing happened to my clutch. i put a brand new clutch in and the pressure plate failed. pedal would just hit the floor. i went with a stage 2 after that and a fidanza flywheel, because my other one overheated and had some deep cracks. the OEM pressure plates are a lot softer of a pedal..also, which is why i went with a stage 2 clutch and pressure plate..