charcoal canister question

Datsrboi

Loud pipes Save Lives
Jul 31, 2007
Haltom Texas
www.cardomain.com
I was looking at my car and nothing there is a hose coming out of the bottom of the charcoal canister just sitting in the middle of no there.. Where does that go?

And here is my main question. Are these canister only found in old cars? I was looking at my toyota solara and can not seem to find one in it. I was seeing if it was smaller so that I can find a used one to put it and hide it on the supra rather using that big original one.
Also does it have to be face upward or can it be laid sideway?

But are they for only older cars?

Last edited:

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
I think the hose goes into the fender well right next to the bottom of the canister. As for other cars, I think it has to do with emissions.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
The Charcoal canister is part of the EVAP system (evaporative emissions system). It stores fuel vapors from the tank while the car is turned off and purges them into the motor when the car is running. The hose coming off of it is a fresh air intake. The hose goes into the frame rail right below the canister.

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
Datsrboi said:
^^ I understand the EVAP part but why am I not seeing them on my 01 toyota solara? Is it for older cars only because they had not invented the two way vapor gas cap yet?

Your Solara cannister is mounted above/near your gas tank. You'd have to put the car on a lift or jack it up to see it.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
it's needed...

unless you like your fuel evaporating, or your fuel pump having to work overtime...

The hose on the bottom goes into a grommet on the framerail under it.

TuRbOdReAmZ87

Supramania Regular
Feb 2, 2007
Southern mass
www.cardomain.com
cjsupra90 said:
The Charcoal canister is part of the EVAP system (evaporative emissions system). It stores fuel vapors from the tank while the car is turned off and purges them into the motor when the car is running. The hose coming off of it is a fresh air intake. The hose goes into the frame rail right below the canister.

would it matter if i took mine out of my supra??? Would it hurt anything?