changed aternator, dead battery after sitting!

reincaster

Dec 25, 2009
Guam
The car in question is an N/A but it involves my 87 turbo, if it needs to be moved, then feel free to do so.

So yesterday, I was driving my 88 N/A and the battery light came on WITH tthe brake light, and the voltage dropped from the usual 14v to a tiny bit less than 12v.

i just took the alternator from one of my turbo motors (1987) and replaced it, battery and brake light went off, charges at 13v.

Drove it to work at 6pm, and at 11pm, the car still started. Let it sit overnight, and it started again at 8 am. Fast forward to 4pm at the parking lot at work, battery has 6-7 volts and relay clicks rapidly. Push started the car, and it started right up. Drove it home and back to work. 11pm, after work, battery is dead again! Had to push start in reverse this time.

It might be the battery, but it's odd that it would happen so suddenly. How much current drain should I see when it's off? That way, I can see if it's a short or drain from when I replaced the alternator and the battery terminals. Or is the alternator from the turbo not the same as the n/a? could it just be bad brushes? What's the minimum length of the brushes?

I wil be heading up to napa to check the battery and alternator in the morning.

Last edited: