Car still has accessory power when the key is out.

DaemoN

Jul 1, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
www.TeamFE.net
I know this is a cross post from sf, i'm sorry but I never got any good answers!

Problem:
When I turn the key off and take it out, the car still has accessory power (cd player, clock is on). I do have a turbo timer (with harness, I didn't just splice the wires), but even after it shuts off by itself or I turn it off manually, the car still retains accessory power. I've had the turbo timer for months working properly and until my car sat for 5 weeks while it was getting body work and paint the accessory power would shut off when the key was out and the turbo timer was running. The only thing changed is I got a new antenna put on. The guy painting it lost the base around the old antenna (*shakes head*) so he just bought a whole entire new antenna. I can't see how him replacing the antenna would affect this, he wasn't in the dash at all for any reason.

I'm going to get the dash trim off and look at the cd player wiring, see if anything is obvious, or any wires look bubbled/bad.

Also, my cd player does not have an option to keep power on, I double checked that already lol. Thanks in advance!

DaemoN

Jul 1, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
www.TeamFE.net
IJ. said:
I'd check that he hasn't jumped the Antenna wiring from Hot to ACC somehow.
Hm I understand, but i'm not too familiar with the Antenna wiring back there. I can't find a wiring diagram in the TSRM either to see what you mean better. Can I get you to elaborate a bit?

Thanks a ton, man.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I'm just going on the clue you provided that this all started after the body guy fitted the new antenna!

I'm guessing he's taken a Hot wire (power all the time) and somehow connceted this to the antenna which is plugged into the original harness.

A quick and easy check would be to unplug the antenna totally and see if this corrects it before digging into the wiring.

Eliminate the obvious first.

DaemoN

Jul 1, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
www.TeamFE.net
IJ. said:
I'm just going on the clue you provided that this all started after the body guy fitted the new antenna!

I'm guessing he's taken a Hot wire (power all the time) and somehow connceted this to the antenna which is plugged into the original harness.

A quick and easy check would be to unplug the antenna totally and see if this corrects it before digging into the wiring.

Eliminate the obvious first.
Good point.

One thing I forgot to mention, once I take the face plate off of the cd player the accessory power shuts off! And all is well then. That is what made me think it was something with the cd player, but I don't know!

What an important fact to leave out *slaps forehead* sorry! Other than that i'm just looking at http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/d/D_25.html to see if I can figure anything out. Thanks a ton again!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Same deal!

Could be a hot wire to the CD player then into the stock harness causing it!

The wiring in our cars is "interesting" to say the least! ;)

Hardly anything is wired direct with 99% of it either going into an Amplifier>Relay or just a Relay.

DaemoN

Jul 1, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
www.TeamFE.net
IJ. said:
Same deal!

Could be a hot wire to the CD player then into the stock harness causing it!

The wiring in our cars is "interesting" to say the least! ;)

Hardly anything is wired direct with 99% of it either going into an Amplifier>Relay or just a Relay.
Sometimes it takes someone else to point out obvious things...
I went out and unplugged the antenna harness and accessory shuts off perfectly fine :p. What I see now is 3 wires off the harness (on the antenna side) aren't connected to anything, and two of the wires on the harness are spliced into one wire coming off of the Antenna. I've got some rewiring to do! And in such a tiny space :). I need to find a reference so I know what goes where and how, the TSRM page on the wiring isn't making any sense to me yet. Thanks for what help you gave me, never got anything out of sf!