car runs but lacks power!!! part 2 with videos

supra153624

Mar 12, 2008
bishopville, south carolina
ok so from my last posts i neede to upload videos so yall can see what im dealing with, ive done alot of work so far but tell me what yall think about the problems i might be having, if u need to re read my posts there in my profile about the codes posable boost leak or timeing being wrong, but im at the last few tricks i gotta do to find out what the problem is, im starting to think it has to do with a fuel issue now

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k134/erincantoo/?action=view&current=07-13-08a009.flv

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k...rrent=87supract26turboboost5lbsairleakinF.flv

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k134/erincantoo/?action=view&current=07-13-08a008.flv

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k134/erincantoo/?action=view&current=07-13-08a010.flv

http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k134/erincantoo/?action=view&current=07-13-08a011.flv

Last edited:

supra153624

Mar 12, 2008
a_sesshoumaru;1077007 said:
is the security system light on? it might be your problem, did you check your codes?

ummm the security light only comes on after i lock the car up, and my codes i got from 2 books are 12-42-51, wich are cam sencor pulse, rpm signal and ac switch, i dont have the ac in anymore so that code doesnt mean much, the rpm signal would explain why when drive it up the road the speedo doesnt tell me anything, and im not sure about the cam sencor, i have adjusted timeing 3 times, tdc compression #1, timing cam marks advanced 2 teeth and it idles great, its only when i drive my car and i go to give it gas it dies under boost, ive checked and rechecked for leaks but there are none, but just like in the videos, my boost gauge pins @ +8, speedo doesnt work, n i loose all power when the turbo spools up

Supraboy89

Oct 25, 2006
Hampton GA
all of the codes you are gettin are cps related. also you shouldnt have to advance your cam gears up 2 teeth. when all timed correctly your cps will look like this in the motor. time every thing right and start lookin for bad wires at and around the cps

Attachments

• Image003.jpg
    Image003.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 34

Supraboy89

Oct 25, 2006
Hampton GA
jetjock;1077776 said:
Sigh. Try not to confuse the guy more than he already is. Only one of the codes he's getting is CPS related.

my bad i should have looked up the codes first insted of tryin to go off memory. your right the code 42 is tps not cps thanks for catchin me on that. as for the code 51 i dont think that will make his car run bad correct me if im wrong

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
No, other than a funky idle a code 51 will not make his car run bad. Nor will a 42 keep his speedo from working. I could go on but as I said the guy needs to read the manual because it's really hard to help the completely clueless.

Btw I couldn't be right about a code 42 being TPS related because it's not. Your bad X2...

Supraboy89

Oct 25, 2006
Hampton GA
jetjock;1077795 said:
No, other than a funky idle a code 51 will not make his car run bad. Nor will a 42 keep his speedo from working. I could go on but as I said the guy needs to read the manual because it's really hard to help the completely clueless.

Btw I couldn't be right about a code 42 being TPS related because it's not. Your bad X2...

lol your right. i guess i need to put the beer down and not read the ones i have circled in my book (code 41) opps sorry you are right 42 is speed sensor duh. thanks for not being a ass like some are on here

a_sesshoumaru

Suprita
Jan 7, 2007
El Salvador
hey i had code 42 for a year, code 51 makes your idle suck, but i think none of it is related to your problem, maybe the other one, but my supra doesn`t turn the security light when driving, i insist that might be your problem? did it drive well before with that light on? Did you check all your grounds?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Where do you see the light on? Regardless, the factory alarm can't have any bearing on his troubles.

SB89: I'm not picking on you, just trying to keep things straight. You were simply mistaken. Happens to me too. That I'm always right is nothing more than a vicious rumor perpetrated by my enemies ;)

supra153624

Mar 12, 2008
a_sesshoumaru;1077828 said:
hey i had code 42 for a year, code 51 makes your idle suck, but i think none of it is related to your problem, maybe the other one, but my supra doesn`t turn the security light when driving, i insist that might be your problem? did it drive well before with that light on? Did you check all your grounds?

well that was helpfull, i do read the book every otherday or so trying to figure this one out, all the grounds r stock grounds, but there are no up grades on the harnes, or extra power added to the harness to need an extra ground, but it could be bad connection, as far as the CPS i had to advance the timeing because it wont idle right set back to TDC marks up, thats because i have the ISC plugged and another vacume line leading into the TBI plugged for right now, but none the less the theres no vacume leak or boost leak there, with the timeing i have its only 2 teeth advanced, and 5 degrees off tdc on the crank, the CPS is set to were the motor doesnt spit or sputter or back fire, the codes 12 and 42 i have been getting are new, code 51 has always been there i dont pay it much attention, i pulled the ac out along time ago, im gonna have to check the RPM signal switch, cuz my speedo is out, but all that still doesnt explain why my car will idle fine and then under boost it looses total power in the system, its almost like if u didnt know it had that problem yall would think the motor was just old, untill u put the pedal to the floor, im gonna read some more on the cps and ics system in conguntion with the fuelcut that might be posable, but thanks for the help so far, still trying to figure it out

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Well, this may sound dumb, but just check to see if any grounds of the harness are not secure. The deal with your boost gauge- that's obviously an electrical problem, like a bad ground.

Supraboy89

Oct 25, 2006
Hampton GA
also you need to put the crank on 0 then line up the cam marks to the marks on the cam cover. that will get your engine timed. then when you time the cps it should look like the pic i posted. you need to get it to this point first before you trouble shoot that way you will know that every thing is set right. the motor at 5degrees wont run very well when you try to accelerate.

Caldwell

Jul 13, 2008
South Philadelphia
im having a power issue with my 89 mk3-T as well - i just have a few questions for you...

if my questions sound stupid - its cause my mk3 is my first car and i wanna learn on here
-mine doesnt

when you turn your car on, does the boost gauge go up an stay up at idle ? mine doesnt

another Q - i know a turbo takes a lil time to spool up, but i have the worst acceleration ever... sometimes when im doin like 40mph my boost gauge is still at -4... my car does run - i can get up to highway speed but it takes me way longer than i think it should....

any ideas

Supraboy89

Oct 25, 2006
Hampton GA
Caldwell;1078808 said:
im having a power issue with my 89 mk3-T as well - i just have a few questions for you...

if my questions sound stupid - its cause my mk3 is my first car and i wanna learn on here
-mine doesnt

when you turn your car on, does the boost gauge go up an stay up at idle ? mine doesnt

another Q - i know a turbo takes a lil time to spool up, but i have the worst acceleration ever... sometimes when im doin like 40mph my boost gauge is still at -4... my car does run - i can get up to highway speed but it takes me way longer than i think it should....

any ideas

sounds like low timing