car overheated today

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
I was driving to school today and I noticed my car was runnign slightly higher then were it usually is (the gauge is usually perfectly level).I take my car to get something to eat down the street at break and when I get back theres a pudle under my car. I figured I should take it home so I get a block away and the gauge is almost in the red. I pull over real quick to let it cool then try again. I make it down the street and the gauge is moving in and out of the red. I park again and check the coolant level and it looked fine. I release the pressure on the cap and there is no coolant in the radiator:aigo: .I poured the overflow can in the radiator but it wasnt enough.Then I notced a wire hanging and a loose connector and it was my birdcage light. I walk to mcdonalds and get the biggest glass of water to put in but it wasnt enough and they wouldnt give me anymore. So jump my ac fan switch and try to go down the street to my old work. I got everything full of water then drive home it ran cooler then it ever has but the birdcage wont go away.Maybe thats why it was disconnected. what could have happened? I know everyone is thinking BHG but I checked the oil cap and the dipstick and they looked normal. I would check the oil and the water every other day but I never opened the radiator to check. Maybe my cap is not funtioning. I know it need s to be replaced now but what do you guys think. Sorry about the long post.

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
Cap if your lucky...Im going with ::bhg::

Mine would drain slowly as well, so Id top it off everyday. I went for a few months (N/A BTW), but I got tired of doing it so I just replaced the gasket.

JoeC

Banned
Jul 10, 2006
Vancouver, Washington
my bro's is currently doing this.. if it even gets slightly above the 1 we pull over and fill it up and drive it carefully.. Pullin the motor to have the block lapped ASAP once the celica gets fixed.

Boss302

May 2, 2006
Mobile, Al
a fan clutch wouldn't cause this problem of over heating would it? i've seen a lot of cars around here with the symptoms and it was all because of the fan clutch. by the way i live in mobile, Al where 100 deg. is regular if that accounts for anything.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Boss302 said:
a fan clutch wouldn't cause this problem of over heating would it? i've seen a lot of cars around here with the symptoms and it was all because of the fan clutch. by the way i live in mobile, Al where 100 deg. is regular if that accounts for anything.

I just went through this shit with my grey MKIII this week.

It was the clutch fan.

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
They way it happened does sound like a fan clutch ecxept that the radiator had no water in it. It tool about 1.5 gallons to fill it up. Plus it made it across town running the coldest I have ever seen it. Im stumped.Also the damn birdcage wont go away.

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
Boss302 said:

WHO ALL HEAR WANT TA SEE THE LEPRECHAUN SAY YEAAAH!!!

Sorry you cant mention Mobile, AL around me.

The fan clutch could be it if your idling alot, but if thats the case the water would be boiling out from overheating. This is just flowing out due to excess pressure I think.