Car just shut off

Obsessionw/Boost

Sep 28, 2006
Albany, NY
Yesterday i was at work, and my dad came by to pick up my car and take it to the toyota dealership. I need a coolant temp. sensor. We called Toyota and explained to them what i needed and where on the car it was located, they said they didnt know what we were talking about..
well anyway, yesterday my dad took it to the dealership to show them physically, when he was on his was back home, the car just shut off. He pulled to the side of the road, i left work and i was there in like 10 minutes. We checked all fluids, battery connections.. etc, and couldnt see anything..
I originally thought my battery went dead, but the only thing my dad had on was the heat.. No music or anything because my car isnt wired yet..
Then we tried jump starting it, and it wouldnt turn over, we tried and tried for a while, then we moved the negative cable off of the negative lug in itself and held it to the negative wire instead. We jumped it, and it started 1st try.
Im thinking i need new lugs and wires..

You guys have any idea what went wrong?

the1andonly0032

Jan 18, 2006
Iowa
I have a similar problem... Most of the time (not 100%) the car just shuts off while it's driving. This usually happens 3-4 minutes into a drive and happens when I let off the gas and still have it in gear. At first I thought it was a battery problem but my radio keeps it's memory of exactly where in a song it was so I know the flow of electricity to it wasn't inturpted. Weirder yet is sometime it will start to die and the CE light will come on but then it won't die and keeps going like normal. I get no codes when I check though...

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
IF you have a bad ground cable on your car it will die. Getting power is only have of an electrical problem you need a good ground. especially since the coils and injectors have a switching ground that tells it to fire. A way to test it is to get a jumper cable and attach only the neg side to the battery with the ground cable off and the other end to the alt. bracket. If it fires up it is your neg cable. If it still doesnt crank leave it on and check power to your starter.