Can you weld forged steel ?

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Apparently my dumbass ex-mechanic managed to break one of the ears off the block where the belhousing bolts-up. The question is can I reweld the ear back on and use this block in a 450rwhp application without the bellhousing breaking loose and my clutch flying through the floor?

I've heard mixed responses about welding anything that's forged. Some say it will hold, other say it won't.

Normally I would just get another block, but this one has already been magnafluxed and decked.

Let's hear some opinions.

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
You have this exact thread posted at least twice......

The block is not forged, it is cast. And I'm pretty sure welding it would not be a good idea.... It MIGHT hold though. Just find another block and make your ex mechanic pay to have it cleaned, preped, and decked

mattjk

Permanent Ban
May 18, 2006
Huntington Beach
www.cardomain.com
the block is forged? I think you mean cast iron. Yes, you can weld cast iron if done properly. Properly is getting both pieces heated up before welding and removing enough corner material so you can get enough of the parts melted together.

Or try JB weld... lol

supraboy77

Jul 3, 2005
ontario
block damage can be welded in some circumstances. do you have any pictures of the damage?

and as been said, the block is cast not forged. FYI, no blocks are forged.

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
supraboy77 said:
block damage can be welded in some circumstances. do you have any pictures of the damage?

and as been said, the block is cast not forged. FYI, no blocks are forged.
Actually they do make forged blocks. Funny cars run a version of the 426 hemi that is forged aluminum.

jtamulis

www.NotRice.com
Apr 9, 2005
Pittsboro, NC
www.NotRice.com
Ok 2 things:

1) if you can make him give you another block.
2) yes you can run a 450rwhp car with one bolt missing from the bellhousing.
I've broken one, and ran 454rwhp, but I won't be held responsible if you car
does break where mine didn't, so your mileage may vary, add all the fine print,
etc.

Jeff

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Good stuff.

BTW, I just filed a lawsuit against my former mechanic for $3700 (which is me being extrememly generous) for damages. Of the 2 engines of mine this guy had, I got the head and block of one back with internals. But that's it. No turbo's, no wire harnessses, and I believe he never installed my Walbro fuel pump which he never returned.

Wish me luck.

89supturbo

Jul 28, 2006
Delmar, NY
IJ. said:
Takes a very good weldor with access to a big furnace to repair it correctly.
haha i like that response especilly considering that heating the block in afurnc=ace would be a huge waste of time due to the fact that it would all warp as soon as it cooled and have to be decked again

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
But the only way to do the job correctly!

You don't need to heat it red hot or anything stupid just a nice even preheat so the cold area of the block isn't leeching the heat away from the weld zone and prestressing the weld.....