Can someone offer aftermarket oil pressure gauge help?

lewis87mk3

Jun 6, 2006
maryland
Short version:
Is there an aftermarket oil pressure guage that can be hooked up to the stock oil pressure sending unit and that also fits in most ebay guage pillar pods?

Long version:
I have been putting my car back together, its 99% complete..

One of the problems left is that I do not have oil pressure according to my gauge.

I had the same problem with my old engine, which led to its death, so I installed a new oil pressure sending unit on my new engine before putting it in.

Much to my dismay it still does not work.

I tried grounding the wire to the sending unit and my guage flinched up to 30lbs then back down and now it remains on zero.
I think it might be possible that I have a short somewhere in my wiring harness that caused the gauge to go out, and if that is the case, then I would prefer to bypass that wire altogether and get an aftermarket guage.

I have absolutely no experience in aftermarket oil pressure guages, after doing a little research on here, I found mixed information on guages and most said that it would require me to replace my oil pressure sending unit yet again with a different one.

Is there an aftermarket oil pressure guage that can be hooked up to the stock oil pressure sending unit and that also fits in most ebay guage pillar pods?

lewis87mk3

Jun 6, 2006
maryland
Ugh, well in that case, I have an extra gauge cluster from an 89 turbo.
I assume the gauges in this one work fine.
I will have to do some research about how to plant this cluster into my car with the exception of the one wire leading from the oil pressure sending unit which I will probably run direct.
I assume some of the other wiring is different... what a pain in the ass.

lewis87mk3

Jun 6, 2006
maryland
clipped in gauge cluster from the 89, exactly as is, works perfect :) Hopefully I dont have an intermittent short, but at least I will know now if the gauge dies again. :biglaugh:
One step closer to drivin... woohoo