calling out all ge-t builders!!! NOT gte swappers!!!

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
i have a perfect running ge im starting from the bare block up.im askin u to all come out so i can look at your build threads and ask for advice so i wont make the same mistakes u made.the search button has no love for ge-t builds only gte swaps.

engine bay pictures will meke me happy:icon_bigg plz

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Another one:evil5:

I would suggest to read the stickies in the NA section, helped me a lot.
Also, GTE intake cam(Exhaust is the same) , GTE valve covers, and GTE throttle linkage and upper intake manifold.

I wouldn't even consider the stock oil cooler setup, heres a thread I started a long time ago.http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81324
Search full flow oil cooler for instructions.

Feel free to ask any questions you got, I'm on here a lot...

Attachments

• DSC00197.jpg
    DSC00197.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 79

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Regardless, this is still a swap...you are just building up a GE motor to make it turbo. The swap threads should provide a wealth of info.

How about posting in complete sentences, with capitals, punctuation, and drop the text message BS abbreviations....a person may actually read what you post.

That said, thread moved to the correct section ;)

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
The first thing you want to do is change seals, HG, and make everything 100%.

From there, you want 7mgte electronics, all of it, ecu/injectors/harness/igniter/etc.

Then, you need an oil line kit, and tap/weld the oil pan for drain.

When it is all done, you can run stock boost no problem on the 7MGE engine.

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
parts list..:aigo::3d_frown: btw ive been told literally 100+times i should just swap in a gte or 1j i said no.ive been offered a 2j droped in for the rims that have been sitting in my room for 2 years i also said no:biglaugh:

Engine
cams-hks
camgears-titan
injectors- 550 rc's
fuelpump-walbro255?
fuel regulator kit-
oilcooler -earls
oilpump-new from toyota
intercooler-?
turbo-some kinda 60 trim bb garrett
pistons-
rods-
clutch-
(getrag:naughty:)??
exhaust-?
dp-ebay?
turbo mani-ebay?
bov-hks
wastegate-tial?

electronics
boost gauge-?
safc-apexi
fuel pressure gauge-?
air/fuel ratio gauge-?

connections
intercooler piping
oil lines
motor mounts
engine stand
mhg-hks

Machine shop work......?:cry:

this is gona be a mission.:runaway:

iceberg319

vvti, what?
Apr 6, 2005
NJ
www.cardomain.com
heres my latest revision....almost complete

p1284725_1.jpg

dont mind the long ass wires, they are being replaced

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
iceberg319;1284725 said:
heres my latest revision....almost complete

p1285516_1.jpg

dont mind the long ass wires, they are being replaced

:love: does it pull hard? any fuel cut issues? is this ur first ge-t build or are u a veteran?

supra87mge-t

Dec 3, 2008
St. George, Utah
welcome to the world of ge-t, one word of advice i can give from personal experience is dont ever go cheap or take short cuts, it always comes back to bite ya in the end. My setup is pretty unusual compared to most ge-ts i run all ge electronics, with apexi safc aem wideband o2 and electronic boost controller. I also didn't tap my oil drain into the pan i took a risk and got a scavenge pump and sent it into the valve covers. Ive been running it like this for a little while now on 6 psi with no problems suprisingly. But ive taken way to many short cuts that ended in blown turboes. So definetly get advice from the vets and do things right the first time. It will save ya alot of time and money in the long run. If ya ever need advice on what not to do hit me up. Good luck with your build

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
She looks good man...

but I gotta ask why not go GTE? I went GE-T because I had a rebuilt engine in my car, and I figured when I blow it up I'll swap all my parts to a rebuilt GTE block, or lower comp. pistons.

Looks pretty slick, so are those just custom wires and your coil packs are tucked underneath your intake?

Any idea on what kind of numbers your making?

Either way keep us updated.

aus87nat

May 20, 2008
Wollongong
supra87mge-t;1289787 said:
welcome to the world of ge-t, one word of advice i can give from personal experience is dont ever go cheap or take short cuts, it always comes back to bite ya in the end. My setup is pretty unusual compared to most ge-ts i run all ge electronics, with apexi safc aem wideband o2 and electronic boost controller. I also didn't tap my oil drain into the pan i took a risk and got a scavenge pump and sent it into the valve covers. Ive been running it like this for a little while now on 6 psi with no problems suprisingly. But ive taken way to many short cuts that ended in blown turboes. So definetly get advice from the vets and do things right the first time. It will save ya alot of time and money in the long run. If ya ever need advice on what not to do hit me up. Good luck with your build

Did you have any trouble when you started with the wiring? Or was it okay with boost from the start?

supra87mge-t

Dec 3, 2008
St. George, Utah
aus87nat;1290413 said:
Did you have any trouble when you started with the wiring? Or was it okay with boost from the start?

Yeah i haven't had any wiring problems yet, Ive kept all the wiring stock and ive been running it at 6 psi for about 3 weeks now no problems.

supra87mge-t

Dec 3, 2008
St. George, Utah
aus87nat;1291109 said:
What RPM do you hit 6psi?

im runnin a turbonetics t3 turbo, smaller than what most guys would run, but that thing spools at about 2800 rpm and hits full boost at about 3500 rpm my boost controller keeps it at 6 psi after that.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
If you are rebuilding the GE block, you should swap pistons if you plan on using a big turbo.

On the other hand, a well tuned, Ct-26'd(or similar smaller turbo) GE would be soooo much fun. :)

You don't need a huge turbo to make good responsive power with a 9.1:1 comp ratio.

If you want huge power and a big turbo, use lower compression pistons.

aus87nat

May 20, 2008
Wollongong
I've got a GT25 (300hp) turbo on mine at the moment. It spools quick, actually too hard to tell when it's on full boost (5-6psi) cause of the Auto, but somewhere in the region of 2200-2500RPM. My GE electrics don't like it at all. Think its a dodgy MAF (like JJ told me, but i decided not to listen :(), but never found another one to try out before it ran out of rego.

Was never going to make big power, but even at just over 0 gauge pressure at low RPM it felt so much better than when it was NA.

Last edited:

RedGT

Aug 18, 2006
Baltimore, MD
I have a comment on the oil drain. I did the (GTE) swap with a JDM GTE and the oil pan was crushed. I realized that the GE oil pan already had a hole tapped into the side of it for the oil drain with a plug in it. I just swapped the drain tube and banjo bolt. Why does everyone seem to drill and tap the pan or dump into the valve cover? I would think it would be better to just buy the drain tube and bolt, it cant be expensive...

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
RedGT;1293606 said:
I have a comment on the oil drain. I did the (GTE) swap with a JDM GTE and the oil pan was crushed. I realized that the GE oil pan already had a hole tapped into the side of it for the oil drain with a plug in it. I just swapped the drain tube and banjo bolt. Why does everyone seem to drill and tap the pan or dump into the valve cover? I would think it would be better to just buy the drain tube and bolt, it cant be expensive...

I was told its too small, and looking back, it more than likely is. IIRC its like 12mm, so after a banjo bolt and what not, plus the 90degree bend, I'd say its pretty restrictive.

I think that whole was for the stock oil cooler?