bump steer

ians13

Nov 8, 2005
Jacksonville, fl
am having a problem and i can't see why the car is doing this, when ever i go over a bump in the road the back of the car feels like it's pulling to one side to the next. feels like bump steer but it's in the back.

ians13

Nov 8, 2005
Jacksonville, fl
supraguru05 said:
need to know what modifications are done to the rear of the vehicle then i can give a guess

kyb's on intrax shocks,

i think i found the problem my left rear lower camber/control arm bushing was wasted i replaced it and it has gotten a lot better, but it seems that i killed my new kyb shock on thr right rear it's leaking all over the place. i think it's dead because there is plenty oil on the back there.

Aspec

Supra uber alles
Dec 22, 2005
Surprise, AZ
ians13 said:
am having a problem and i can't see why the car is doing this, when ever i go over a bump in the road the back of the car feels like it's pulling to one side to the next. feels like bump steer but it's in the back.

Have your alignment checked. If the rear toe setting is out it will cause the rear end to jump around. Because the front settings are referenced to the rear make sure it is done on a computerized 4 wheel alignment rack(no strings or tape measures will do). If the rear is adjusted the front will have to be done with it. Check your air pressure.

edit: With that new bushing you for sure need an alignment now.

ians13

Nov 8, 2005
Jacksonville, fl
Aspec said:
Have your alignment checked. If the rear toe setting is out it will cause the rear end to jump around. Because the front settings are referenced to the rear make sure it is done on a computerized 4 wheel alignment rack(no strings or tape measures will do). If the rear is adjusted the front will have to be done with it. Check your air pressure.

edit: With that new bushing you for sure need an alignment now.

got to get that done tomorrow, a stupid shop around here messed up my camber bolt blocks on the front right, i hope they can set it up right damn you TK performance bastards.

ians13

Nov 8, 2005
Jacksonville, fl
got the car aligned today for some reason the rear left toe would not come within spec, i i think i will be needing a left trailing arm, the caster was not adjustable on the front and the right is out of spec by .8 and my car still pulls to the right a little.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
chances are that the little metal tabs that the eccentric lobes rotate in are bent. it happens. pull the setup apart, bend them straight again using vice grips and a hammer. (don't break them off!) and run a bead of weld right behind them on the outside to prevent them from pushing out again.

i did that on the front of my car when i replaced the bushings for the lower control arms. (they were seized, and what a bitch that was) and i have to do it on the back too, because the alignment shop couldn't get them to stay put. they kept bending out.

good luck!

-shaeff

ians13

Nov 8, 2005
Jacksonville, fl
the tabs on the front right are bent but the guy said that it only controls the camber which is in spec. i don't know to much about alignment, so i leave it to people that do it for a living.

Aspec

Supra uber alles
Dec 22, 2005
Surprise, AZ
ians13 said:
got the car aligned today for some reason the rear left toe would not come within spec, i i think i will be needing a left trailing arm, the caster was not adjustable on the front and the right is out of spec by .8 and my car still pulls to the right a little.

The caster is adjustable on the front. 7.5 deg positive is the spec I believe. There should be two eccentric cam adjusters on the lower control arm. the forward most adjuster is mainly for camber. The rearward most adjuster is mainly for caster. When 1 adjuster is moved both caster and camber will change. The trick is finding the combination of adjustments that will bring both measurements into spec. The last time I did mine, I think I had to "sweep caster"(the term for getting an updated caster reading after an adjusment) 4 or 5 times before I got it just right.

As far as the rear toe setting the same applies. There are two adjustments on the rear. One for the toe and one for camber. When one is adjusted the other will change as well. Camber adjustment effects the toe adjustment more so than the toe effects camber so if you have some wiggle room in the rear camber I would bet the toe will come in (providing nothing is bent). A rear camber setting from 0 deg to -1/2 degree will be fine. Try and shoot for between 0 and -1/4 deg.

The rear toe effects driveability much more than rear camber so if you have to choose between some un-even tire wear (camber out of spec) or a squirrely rear end, go with the former.

EDIT: Just read previous post - Even if the tabs are bent, any alignment tech worth his salt can still make the adjusments if he wants to take care of you as a customer. I managed to do mine and my right rear camber tabs are toast. It just takes a little extra "effort" and "know how".

Last edited:

ians13

Nov 8, 2005
Jacksonville, fl
Aspec said:
The caster is adjustable on the front. 7.5 deg positive is the spec I believe. There should be two eccentric cam adjusters on the lower control arm. the forward most adjuster is mainly for camber. The rearward most adjuster is mainly for caster. When 1 adjuster is moved both caster and camber will change. The trick is finding the combination of adjustments that will bring both measurements into spec. The last time I did mine, I think I had to "sweep caster"(the term for getting an updated caster reading after an adjusment) 4 or 5 times before I got it just right.

As far as the rear toe setting the same applies. There are two adjustments on the rear. One for the toe and one for camber. When one is adjusted the other will change as well. Camber adjustment effects the toe adjustment more so than the toe effects camber so if you have some wiggle room in the rear camber I would bet the toe will come in (providing nothing is bent). A rear camber setting from 0 deg to -1/2 degree will be fine. Try and shoot for between 0 and -1/4 deg.

The rear toe effects driveability much more than rear camber so if you have to choose between some un-even tire wear (camber out of spec) or a squirlly rear end, go with the former.

EDIT: Just read previous post - Even if the tabs are bent, any alignment tech worth his salt can still make the adjusments if he wants to take care of you as a customer. I managed to do mine and my right rear camber tabs are toast. It just takes a little extra "effort" and "know how".

i belive they gys just wanted to get my car done so he got it close and left it, am going to change the trailing arm and take it back to see if they can get it good. 12 month warranty :)

Aspec

Supra uber alles
Dec 22, 2005
Surprise, AZ
ians13 said:
i belive they gys just wanted to get my car done so he got it close and left it

You are probably right. Just be persistant and polite. There is no reason to accept less than what you paid for. If it is going to take more labor than they thought going in, they should be up front and state their case not just give up out of frustration.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

ians13

Nov 8, 2005
Jacksonville, fl
man I can't believe I missed this, and the guy at good year missed it to, I was replacing my right rear strut today and noticed the camber arm is bent at the knuckle so am going to replace that and take it back.

i have also replaced the steering damper.
every little bit helps.

Last edited:

Aspec

Supra uber alles
Dec 22, 2005
Surprise, AZ
Good catch. Just make sure your alignment shop knows "they" missed it.

Once your done, and the alignment is all set you won't believe how much better your baby will drive. Have fun.