Brakes keep squealing, no matter what I try!!

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
What a nightmare. I removed squealing brake pads to apply brake quiet to the back of the pads; made no difference. I then installed KVR carbon-metallic pads which are supposed to be quiet. They make a very high pitched squeak under light braking, and it made little or no difference after I applied 2 different types of brake quiet products, to dampen the vibrations. I have the stock anti-squeal shims installed. What the hell do I do now? Please help me have quiet brakes.

(A big brake kit is not in the budget just yet)

DRIFTER WANNABE

DO WORK
Aug 15, 2008
southern oregon
hey where r u applinn that break anti-sqeal

my 86.5 had squeaky a$$$ breaks and it wasn't pad to rotor noise
it was coming from the PAD and CALIPER CONTACT

try putting brake lube on the top and bottom of the pads and on the caliper where the pads slide back and fourth

DRIFTER WANNABE

DO WORK
Aug 15, 2008
southern oregon
hey i forgot to tell yeah to clean the part of the caliper that the pad slides on really good because it gets built up break dust

just wonderin what kind of shape your calipers r in to if there worn out thst could be the problem too
'
good luck and what a squeaky clean ride

oowee623

SCS
Aug 13, 2007
Long Beach, CA
simpsons7s;1125513 said:
Have you replaced the hardware? ie: springs and guides. I have seen that be the problem before.

yeah they scratched up my rotors. theyre about 30 bucks from the dealer and looks like a better design

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
whowouldfigga;1125576 said:
Don't use the toyo oem stock anti-squeal shims with your non-stock brake pads. I changed my pads to wagner thermo quiets and did not reuse the anti-squeal shims and all is quiet.

Yup! The break pads I got, and most aftermarket replacement sets, have integrated shims and don't need the factory ones.

Also make sure you still have those 2 'spring' clips on each pair of pads that holds the pads apart.

That plus clean and greased slider pins made my breaks nice and quiet!

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
tekdeus;1125614 said:
Where's the best/cheapest place to buy Wagner Thermo quiets? How is the brake fade under heavy braking?

(Yes, I cleaned and greased all the sliders on my brakes)

Forget Wagner Thermo Quiets, I've used them twice and the anti-squeel pad that comes glued to the back of them ALWAYS comes loose and gets rotated out of the caliper where it then starts rubbing against the rotor.
It results in a squeel that will dwarf your current squeel by comparison.

I too hate noisy brakes, here's what I would do:

1. Replace or turn the rotors (all 4). Even if they look ok to you...turn 'em or replace them.

2. Buy 4 new CERAMIC pads. NAPA sells them, as well as autoparts america i.e. kragan, as well as many aftermarket manufacurers (EBC, but don't buy the "track" pads), I'm sure you probably know where to get them.
If you have trouble locating ceramics for the rears (which you might depending on where you go), use organics (not semi-metalics) on the rear w/ the ceramics up front.

3. Replace or rebuild your calipers (especially the fronts, since they get the hottest) If you can't replace/rebuild them. At least thoroughly clean and inspect for obvious signs of wear or damages, but better to replace/rebuild (not very expensive).

4. Replace ALL of the sliders, pins, bushings etc. This is a must do.

5. Use brake quiet only on the back of the brake pad "contact areas".

6. Last but not least, drain your old brake fluid and flush and fill with a high quality fluid (I use endless, any but good quality fluid dot III or better will work). This is really important because brake fluid is hydrophilic (constantly absorbing moisture from the air) and it doesn't take too long for your brake fluid to have a good percentage of water in it which causes it's boiling level to be lowered, and heat to build resulting in (you guessed it) squeel.

If you do the above and your brakes still squeel I will eat my air-filter (oiled K&N, would taste nasty).:icon_bigg

Who

Supramania Contributor
tekdeus;1125614 said:
Where's the best/cheapest place to buy Wagner Thermo quiets? How is the brake fade under heavy braking?

(Yes, I cleaned and greased all the sliders on my brakes)

Everyone seems to sell them so you just have to call around. If your a AAA member you can get %10 off your purchases at Napa. If I read your posts correctly you have already tried two sets of pad. Another set might not help.

Brake fade... sorry can't say.

Hint from the tsrm. Install pads so the brake wear indicators are down. Make sure the pads slide across the top and bottom pad support plate without binding. Don't forget the anti squeal spring (They only seem to pull the pads away from the rotors). Some pads ,the cheaper ones, are painted all around even the sides of the brake pads material has paint on it and that can cause noise.

Last edited:

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Poodles;1125420 said:
chamfer the pads...

Agreed. Cheapest and easiest solution to start with.

If there's paint on the side of the friction material, lightly file it off. Then, as poodles suggested, cut a chamfer on the two sides of the pad, the leading edge and the trailing edge.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Keros;1125692 said:
Agreed. Cheapest and easiest solution to start with.

Cheapest and easiest maybe...but not the right way to do it, and certainly no guarantee-able likelyhood of solving his problem.

I stand by my post (#11). I'm sure he wants his brakes "right", especially given the amount of work, time and money he has already invested in this car.

If he hasn't already gone through the brakes top to bottom (and it sounds like he may not have yet) now's the time. Who knows what other problems his brake system may have? It's a pretty car, I'd hate to see it bent up because of lack of attention to the brakes. FWIW.:icon_bigg

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
New stock calipers, stock pads on stock rotors, and a tiny bit of no squeel on the back plates - never heard them squeal.

Here's a link that goes into it (clean it up and I ain't endorsing it)

aa1car .com /library /2004/bf80426.htm

That artice discusses stuff like the place cutting the rotor not having the sharpest bit in the box etc....

MY 10 cents:

I usually sand paper hand polish the rotors a little between pad changes with a good shot of brake cleaner and only cut them when they need it from abuse like hotspots etc.

I would NEVER use organics in the rear or anywhere for that matter on a pad system. Organic is ok on a drum system because the surface area is greater and the back is limited to how much it can do before lockup.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I did sand all the paint off the sides of the friction material. How does chamfering make a difference? If these things are so important, why don't they come this way from the factory??

Any one else have problems with the Thermo Quiet pads coming apart? After taking my pads out 4 times now, I am not keen to try another iffy solution that might not make any difference.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I have Thermo-Quiets on mine and the shims have never moved (and I'm HARD on my brakes). They do produce a bit of dust though...

Many of your nice luxury pads will already be chamfered (especially on modern vehicles) to stop the noise. It's a well known trick and many brake techs do it on all pads...