Big GE probs

ma70mkiii

Jul 16, 2007
ohio
My friend has a 1990 n/a auto. I have a few questions.
1. We were changing the spark plugs and found a few things. There was a gunky look substance all over the top part of the spark plugs. Half of the wires were siezed and broke off. The bottom of the plug looked like it had a dirty water like residue on them. The car wasn't running very good. I don't remember if it was blowing white smoke the last time I seen it run. What would cause that water or whatever it is to be in the combustion chambers?BHG?

2. His radiator went bad and it has 2 fittings on the bottom with 2 lines going to it. I didn't know what the lines were for. Both went toward the back of the car and I know 1 went to the bellhousing on the tranny. I had a radiator from my 89 but it didn't have the 2 fittings on the bottom. Are they for oil!? If so could I use an oil cooler to replace the fittings in the bottom of his old radiator.

3.If he chose to do a rebuild would a GTE head fit on a GE block. I wasn't 100% sure

PLZ help!

Thermactor

Been there, done that
Jun 23, 2005
San Diego CA
ma70mkiii said:
My friend has a 1990 n/a auto. I have a few questions.
1. We were changing the spark plugs and found a few things. There was a gunky look substance all over the top part of the spark plugs. Half of the wires were siezed and broke off. The bottom of the plug looked like it had a dirty water like residue on them. The car wasn't running very good. I don't remember if it was blowing white smoke the last time I seen it run. What would cause that water or whatever it is to be in the combustion chambers?BHG?

2. His radiator went bad and it has 2 fittings on the bottom with 2 lines going to it. I didn't know what the lines were for. Both went toward the back of the car and I know 1 went to the bellhousing on the tranny. I had a radiator from my 89 but it didn't have the 2 fittings on the bottom. Are they for oil!? If so could I use an oil cooler to replace the fittings in the bottom of his old radiator.

3.If he chose to do a rebuild would a GTE head fit on a GE block. I wasn't 100% sure

PLZ help!
1) the valve covers were leaking, its fairly normal, nothing to worry about - just replace the valve cover gaskets, or at least tighten the valve cover screws
2) the fittings are for the transmission oil cooler - you can use your radiator but you have to also plumb in a little oil cooler for the transmission.
3) yes the head would fit perfectly fine