bhg verdict?

selfinfliction

Dec 11, 2007
ky
i was out acting stupid today, helping keep the tire companies stay in business, and when i got home there was some steam coming out of the back of the engine area, couldn't really see specifically where it was from. coolant light was on afterwards, but runs perfectly fine.

i'm guesisng it's probably a bhg, anyone else have a diagnosis?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Could be, however, there are several other things that are just as likely.

What year is your car, and is it turbo or NA?

Have you replaced the coolant line that goes from the back of the head to the coolant bypass already?

selfinfliction

Dec 11, 2007
ky
GrimJack said:
Could be, however, there are several other things that are just as likely.

What year is your car, and is it turbo or NA?

Have you replaced the coolant line that goes from the back of the head to the coolant bypass already?

87 turbo, 160k miles. just got it last week, and it had the factory sparkplugs and wires still installed, so i doubt anything has been done to it at all

i didn't know there was a coolant tube back there, but there was no coolant in the oil at all and it seems to be running smooth as silk. i just figured it was a bhg

so you think it could've just been a coolant hose?

oscar35783

Feb 24, 2006
Jax, FL
selfinfliction said:
87 turbo, 160k miles. just got it last week, and it had the factory sparkplugs and wires still installed, so i doubt anything has been done to it at all

i didn't know there was a coolant tube back there, but there was no coolant in the oil at all and it seems to be running smooth as silk. i just figured it was a bhg

so you think it could've just been a coolant hose?
check to see you if you have a crack on the coolant hose on the back of the engine. Also check to see if your resavior is low, if it is low, the bird cage light will come on. Ask me how I know.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
May just be a leaky hose at the back of the motor on the exhaust side (90* rubber hose. Its hard to see with the exhaust sheild on and a real PITA to get to. Its like 5\8 IIRC

shepfly

Jul 23, 2007
Ohio
In addition to the hose that crosses behind valve covers there is rubber cap held on by a hose clamp directly under the above hose on the pass. side. Check/replace all your hoses asap, this is a 20 yr old veteran.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
shepfly said:
In addition to the hose that crosses behind valve covers there is rubber cap held on by a hose clamp directly under the above hose on the pass. side. Check/replace all your hoses asap, this is a 20 yr old veteran.
This cap is very likely bad - it sits right next to the exhaust manifold. IMO it should be replaced every year.

Toyota wasn't fond of the thing either, it's been removed on later years.

selfinfliction

Dec 11, 2007
ky
i bet that's what it is then. i was just hoping for some kind of collant leak/bhg and not a f'd up head it looked like it was coming from the very back around by the manifold, but couldn't tell for sure, and i didn't think there was any kind of coolant hose back there, which is what made me worry

think i'm going to start pulling the engine tomorrow anyway. thanks for the info guys