Best antivirus?

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
Well the Norton that came with my computer when I bought it expired so I need to get something, should I just re-new? or get something else?

I've heard Norton isn't very good so who knows...

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My personal experience: Anything is better then Norton.

I use Trend Micro Internet Security myself. I like it because I get 3 installations on one key, and it's cheaper to renew then Norton. Plus, it works well.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
symantec is pretty good. virginia tech pays for it and i dont suppose they're too cheap on stuff like that, protecting the integrity of their network.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Avast! is very good as is AVG... Both are free and as good as top-tier retail software. I run Avast on most of my machines coupled with an adware/spyware blocker and scanner.

Of the pay services, Trend Micro is good. Avoid Norton and McAfee if possible - they are a bit buggy.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
NOD32

best antivirus though, is YOU. Don't use IE, turn off 99% of the garbage services (many that are NOT needed, but viruses exploit) and regularly clean with CrapCleaner, ect...

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Poodles said:
NOD32

best antivirus though, is YOU. Don't use IE, turn off 99% of the garbage services (many that are NOT needed, but viruses exploit) and regularly clean with CrapCleaner, ect...

Listen to the man. You will get many benefits from not using IE.

mkthree92

Supramania Contributor
Jan 21, 2007
AL
I use Avast as well and have had no problems at all with it. Very good free anti-virus that you can't beat.

On the other hand, I refuse to use Norton or McAfee as they do nothing but slow everything down to the point where you want to get rid of it as soon as possible.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
Poodles said:
NOD32

Yup.

Norton is shit. Mcafee is shit. Trendmicro isn't fucking awful, avg is decent. But by far, I'm my best anti virus. Just don't be stupid and viruses are easy to not get.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
NOD32 doesn't install (at least my version didn't), it just sweeps the system and destroys.

Doward has the right idea. IE is too damn easy to hack (same with outlook), ALWAYS find alternatives. I run Miranda IM for my instant messaging needs as well...

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Doward said:
Avast! + Spybot 1.5.1 + CCleaner + Firefox = ultra clean system.

I've never had a virus, in 17 years of computing.

i will second this opinion and that is all i use, anything you pay for is a waste of money these are so effective it puts everything else to shame.