bad noise

flaredsupra

supah
Dec 18, 2007
maine
i have a 87 7mgte and im getting a grinding noise from the front of the motor like a bad baring in either altenator or timing belt tensioner ( i have no ac and i unhooked the belt to the power steering) then i put new altenator and belt tensioner still the noise is there so maybe its the oil pump drive shaft. Has anyone else heard or had this problem? Any help would be great!

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Ive had the same complaint several times in different supras and it has always turned out to be the bearings in the water pump.

Sometimes you can actually see the pully on the water pump vibrate in conjunction with the the noise.

flaredsupra

supah
Dec 18, 2007
maine
theWeezL;1050326 said:
Ive had the same complaint several times in different supras and it has always turned out to be the bearings in the water pump.

Sometimes you can actually see the pully on the water pump vibrate in conjunction with the the noise.

hi thanks for answering me. I also put new water pump in a wile back not meney miles on it. so i ran it with no belts on alt and water pump and no timming cover and still here the noise? so what other bearings are there to make noise?

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
I had a similar problem. I had a ring pop off the front of the lower timing gear and it started milling a place for itself on the inside of the lower timing cover. Made a high pitched swirling inconsistent noise.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
the only other "bearing" type noise on the front of the motor (external) would be the timing belt tensioner. If thats not it then its bad news.

TurboWeenie

7M-GTblownheadgasketE
Jul 22, 2007
KS
What about the a/c compressor idler pulley? I currently have mine apart because the bearing was very worn and noisy.

Aspec

Supra uber alles
Dec 22, 2005
Surprise, AZ

flaredsupra

supah
Dec 18, 2007
maine
Aspec;1050901 said:
He ran it without any belts on it so that can't be it.

Your going to have to pull the lower timing cover and check the crankshaft t-belt pully and t-belt tensioner/idler pulley.

Start here:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=EM&P=22

_

i did just that and found my noise it was the bottom timming belt pully. the guide on the front fell off and the belt was rideing into the front cover .fixed pully by welding the guide back on no noise know so thanks for the info