Autometer Gauge Install

BoostLess7mge

JDM owns me...
Aug 29, 2005
Chicago
I will be purchasing trans temp, water temp, and oil pressure gauges. I was just wondering where you guys mount all the sensors/probes and what is the most effective way to install them. thanks!

-Steve

Davismj711

PA Mountain Supra
Hi Steve

Suggest you do as I did and do a search using keyword (Gauges ) I still have not decided where to place mine. I have a carbon fiber pillar pod, but am leaning away from it due to a slight loss of vision to left side on windshield. Currently looking at a Perrin column mount or single pods.

Good Luck ^^

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
BoostLess7mge;1027107 said:
I will be purchasing trans temp, water temp, and oil pressure gauges. I was just wondering where you guys mount all the sensors/probes and what is the most effective way to install them. thanks!

-Steve

well most of the time, there are many ways to skin a cat; but this is how i would do it:

trans temp: if you are automatic, go inline with the automatic transmission fluid cooler lines that go to the radiator. if manual, its a little more involved; youd have to either knock out a casting plug and tap it for your probe, or drill and tap a hole in a safe place. i also am unaware if a transmission temperature sensor is even needed at all for a manual transmission, id think not but im not sure.

for water temp theres a few ways to do it, but for the cleanest install i would drill and tap an unused boss on the t-stat cover.

for oil temp/pressure: there is at LEAST one spot on the 7m block that is already drilled and just has a block off plate where you can get oil pressure/temperature, youll just have to tap the hole for your sensor. IIRC it is on the exhaust side of the motor, and i THINK it is above the turbo oil feed and is blocked off by a two bolt pate labeled '7M'. this is something you will have to search on to be sure as i am only going from memory. it has been over a year since i have looked at a 7m.

another way to do it is to get a T that fits into the stock oil pressure sender port, with appropriate ports for the stock sender, and for your probe.

yet another way is to get an oil filter relocation kit and tap into the adapter plate, or get one with provisions for additional probes.

hope that helps.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
For oil pressure there are 2 unused threaded ports already. For your autometer gauge youre gonna need a 1/8BPTMale to 1/8NPT Female fitting. The block has BPT units and your autometer uses NPT.