auto trans vs manual trans

K

kornfreakim1

ok im doing a paper for school and i need some stuff to quote off of an internet site... so whats your oppinions on auto trannys and manual trannys? which do you prefer and why? what are bennifits and dissadvantages to each? please help me out here its a 500 point assignment and its due on friday (dec 8) thanks

Caplax40

Grand Tourer
Feb 12, 2006
Boise, ID
Way to wait till the last minute. Damn Nampans.

Anyways, in short I feel that manuals offer more driver interactment and offer more control over the car.

That said I have an Auto MKIII and I feel that fits the car's GT characteristics better. My truck on the other hand is a manual. While that amount of control is nice, especially in off road situations, it makes for some tiring driving on long distances.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
OneJoeZee said:
I prefer manual because I like the feeling of the shaft in my hand.

p444920_1.gif

vasponger

Nov 18, 2006
VA Beach
cant really say much for manuals but, ive owned 2 autos, accord and an s14

i dont have a problem with them, i dont get bored, i feel like theres one less thing i have to worry about while driving with a bunch of idiots around me, less maitenance, i beat the hell out of them and they hold strong, maybe just my luck but i never had to replace a clutch, pressure plate like most manual owners do......

i dont have a race car, i drive it place to place with the occasional triple digit on ramp but thats it. i got nothing against either really.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
The automatic is at a disadvantage in that it has a much larger loss of power when transfering it to the wheels, in our cars i lose about 40 hp to the wheels because of the automatic components, a manual loses about 15 hp. As far as enjoyment goes the 5 speed or manual wins out overall but from a racing standpoint the automatic will provide the most consistent results especially on the drag strip. To each his own i like them both i just hate knowing that my auto cant handle the power everyone else's 5 speed can, its my achiles heal.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Nobody has brought up the boost issue. It's true that there is less power to the wheels because of added weight and more moving parts with an auto, but there is no loss of boost between gears, either, which also goes to the advantages of the auto at the strip.

As far as FUN on the street goes, however? Manual for me. I've got an auto right now, but that ends as of this Sunday. I'm picking up my new clutch and bearings later today and have the rest of what I need for the swap sitting in my garage. THEN I'm going to have some fun. :naughty:

I should also mention that more than half the miles I've driven in 18 years of having a license have been in cars with manual transmissions, and I have yet to wear out a clutch. Just don't ride it, and it will last. I hope to change all that if I ever manage to hit my Supra power goals. ;)

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
it all depends on what time of drive/ racing you use, but generally manuals are a more fun drive.. autos are deff better for drag racing though..

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Shytheed Dumas said:
Nobody has brought up the boost issue. It's true that there is less power to the wheels because of added weight and more moving parts with an auto, but there is no loss of boost between gears, either, which also goes to the advantages of the auto at the strip.

uh.... I brought it up....

I wonder why people tend to ignore my posts :icon_conf

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Tanya said:
uh.... I brought it up....

I wonder why people tend to ignore my posts :icon_conf

In this thread? I just reread the whole thing and didn't see anything here about it, so I posted it up instead of handing him the standard "why didn't you search, noob?" line since it's been discussed many times in other threads. I took your 'build boost' statement as it relates to launching, not shifting. No disrespect intended. :icon_bigg