ATF fluid for power steering?

MoreliaSpilota

Sep 7, 2009
Gainesville, FL
Bought myself some power steering fluid, went to pour it into the resevoir, until I saw ATF only. so, I can ONLY use ATF for the power steering?

This is completely new to me.

I stared at the thing for probably 5 minutes questioning why I have to put automatic transmission fluid into the power steering if I have a manual transmission. :biglaugh:

Just need a conformation that I should be using ATF instead of PS fluid. Thanks y'all.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Yes, under no circumstances should you use regular Power Steering Fluid in the system. You need to use ATF, so yes, it's okay.

nctexan

Nov 30, 2009
Houston
I know what the TSRM says...but would there be an exception for using a high performance product such as Royal Purple or Red Line PS fluid?

barkz

Sep 14, 2010
Afghanistan
would you put "high performance" PS fluid into your tranny? i would just stick with what it says. theres a reason for that

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
nctexan;1628111 said:
I know what the TSRM says...but would there be an exception for using a high performance product such as Royal Purple or Red Line PS fluid?

damn, the product marketing has really worked its magic on you.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
barkz;1628117 said:
would you put "high performance" PS fluid into your tranny? i would just stick with what it says. theres a reason for that

Its the other way around. Atf in the ps.