any un-needed parts under there?

tx87supra

Nov 21, 2010
texas
I bought my first Supra about a month ago, i got it for 500. The previous owner put a new jdm 7mge motor in and gave up after he got the motor in. The harness is hacked up, most of the water and vacuum lines are missing or ruined, and theres a few small parts in car i dont know what they are for. I need alittle help, ive found out everything i need in other forums to put the Supra back together, this site is a big help, but i have a question. Ive always preferred the look of the engine, and a clean engine bay. So what DONT i need under the hood? Can you guys help or am i going to have to go the trail and error route?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The entire Engine is "unneeded"......

Dude do you seriously think Toyota or any other company put parts in that aren't needed for the correct operation of the car under all forseeable conditions?
(add up how many Mk3's were made multiply that by a couple of $$ and you'll soon see if Toyota could have NOT put the parts in they would have and bought hookers and beer with the millions of left over $$$)

Can you remove parts and have it still run? Yes of course but it's going to be compromised in some way sometime.

The whole "cleaning up the engine bay" is the biggest pile of horseshit I've ever seen, sure if you want a stripped bay fine but at least have a basic understanding of what each system does and then RELOCATE it under the inner fenders liners, ditto on harness and plumbing, most time this is half assed by people too stupid to realise the parts were needed creating a huge issue/problem for the next owner that might have a chance of actually making the car run.

tx87supra

Nov 21, 2010
texas
I understand what you are saying. But I know there's parts and systems under the hood that help with fuel economy and take from the performance of the motor. Things that are there for diver comfort that you don't really need, like ac, power-steering, cruise control, things like that. I'm talking about leaving whats only needed for the motor to run properly, rerouteing and relocating ive already been looking into.

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
if youre only lookin for performance and no additional options in the car, you can think about deleting the windshield wiper tank and its hoses, wiper motor and setup, as well as the entire a/c system that should make the enigne bay look cleaner as well as removing a few pounds

tx87supra

Nov 21, 2010
texas
the power steering and ac were gone when i got the car. its just a project for now, it hasnt taken any shape yet. im looking to clean it up some and free up alittle hp. im not looking to go turbo on a 7m, when this motor goes out ill drop in v8, just cant decide between 1uz or 350sbc

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
IJ.;1647817 said:
The entire Engine is "unneeded"......

Dude do you seriously think Toyota or any other company put parts in that aren't needed for the correct operation of the car under all forseeable conditions?
(add up how many Mk3's were made multiply that by a couple of $$ and you'll soon see if Toyota could have NOT put the parts in they would have and bought hookers and beer with the millions of left over $$$)

Can you remove parts and have it still run? Yes of course but it's going to be compromised in some way sometime.

The whole "cleaning up the engine bay" is the biggest pile of horseshit I've ever seen, sure if you want a stripped bay fine but at least have a basic understanding of what each system does and then RELOCATE it under the inner fenders liners, ditto on harness and plumbing, most time this is half assed by people too stupid to realise the parts were needed creating a huge issue/problem for the next owner that might have a chance of actually making the car run.
Not saying i completely disagree...but what ill effects would i see if i removed items such as these?

Attachments

• IMG_2012..jpg
    IMG_2012..jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2011..jpg
    IMG_2011..jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 54

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
CyFi6;1648088 said:
Not saying i completely disagree...but what ill effects would i see if i removed items such as these?

leave those on, they're splash guards.

like a dumbass, I removed the ones in the 2nd pic, only to realize they seal the hood, keeping your air filter and battery dry, by the time I realized it, the city had taken the trash...

tx87supra

Nov 21, 2010
texas
why does this car have water lines running to the throttle body? does anyone know why? or am i gonna have to take them off and let you guys know what happens?

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
They are there for colder climates, They are not to cool the throttle body, They are there to warm it.. Some people disconnect them, There's no reason not to though.. Like IJ said, Things are there for a reason

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
tx87supra;1647846 said:
...But I know there's parts and systems under the hood that help with fuel economy and take from the performance of the motor...

I'm curious. What exactly would those parts and systems be? Since you know you should be able to explain what they are and how they help with fuel economy while taking performance from the motor. Help me out here...

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
they work with you cold system, it keeps the throttle body from icing up in the cold. you can bypass it, but no point. its till gonna leave ugly ports open.

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

jetjock;1648178 said:
I'm curious. What exactly would those parts and systems be? Since you know you should be able to explain what they are and how they help with fuel economy while taking performance from the motor. Help me out here...

egr??

tx87supra

Nov 21, 2010
texas
pcv valve? dont they help pull extra fuel fumes from under valve covers and run them back through the motor? wouldnt replacing them with valve breathers get alittle extra hp?

MkIII FTW

Aug 31, 2009
Huntsville
Personally I wouldnt remove anything, but if you must, the AC would about it. the only reason why i dont have AC on mine is because the donor car I had didnt have the AC unit on it. As far as anything else is concerned I wouldnt bother it. It kinda goes back to the old saying, If it isnt broken, dont fix it.

tx87supra

Nov 21, 2010
texas
i could see leaving all the parts on the car if it was your everyday driver or your resto project. i would love to start putting her on the strip sometime this summer, thats why i ask about the parts.