another "max boost I can run" thread :)

kylefoto

I am not ASIAN!
May 7, 2006
Lynnwood, WA
www.myspace.com
Okay.
So I order a 60-1 upgrade off Ebay which still isn't here yet which I'm not too happy about, and just wondering how much psi I pump out on it.
I've got a full 3in exhaust, including downpipe, upgraded intercooler, greddy type s BOV, and stock fuel system/injectors...also, no MHG yet.
I feel like there's something else that I'm forgetting.

Anyways, I'm running 8psi on my stock ct26 which is going out. So what should I be running daily and what is it safe to pump it up to when doing some racing?

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
no mhg?

keep boost under 5psi :)

honestly just turn it up to whatever you feel like risking.... no one is going to give you a real definitive answer because there is none.

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
Long behold, Jspizzec. :D

Anyways, I'm on a 60-1 CT clipped 10 degree's.
On the stock wastegate/spring, it boosted about 6psi.
That was a while ago. I'm now using an HKS EVC Electronic Boost Controller and I run 14psi daily. Out of curiousity, I ran it at 18psi, and somehow, hitting fuel cut at about 18.5 psi. Wanna hear what's even crazier? I'm on stock fuel system. :D Most people tend to hit FCO around 13psi, but some are a little short-handed, and then some (like me), must have the JDM MaD TyT3 y0 Stock AFM, LOL. Just kidding, but yeah...

Being on a stock fuel system, just make sure your AFM is healthy, your injectors are healthy and your fuel pump is in good condition.
To be completely honest with you, I don't know exactly how much boost you can run through a 60-1, but a 60-1 CT is good for about 450rwhp (more or less, depending on your car and setup).

Good luck. Any questions? Ask.

Jeff

:KoReanNinja Edit:
If you haven't even been retorqued AT ALL, I wouldn't recommend going too much higher than stock boost if at all. Only God knows when BHG is on the way on a 16+year old car. :rolleyes:
I am definately due for a MHG, but right now, I'm retorqued 76ft.lbs on a new (was new) OEM gasket.

kylefoto

I am not ASIAN!
May 7, 2006
Lynnwood, WA
www.myspace.com
thanks for the replies guys, especially you jspec, good info to know.
The engine is a MaD tYtE JdM yo engine. :) it had uuuuuuhhhhhhh like 35k miles on it approx when it was throwin in about 1.5-2k miles ago. Think it still needs to be retorqued?
As for MHG, it's next on my list, then fuel system I think.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
To tell you the truth, the "max boost you can run" is basically the point at which added boost stops making increased power output............or the engine has a catastrophic failure, whichever comes first. With a stock engine and injectors it will be the latter.

The best thing you could do is forget about boost pressure numbers and start tuning the engine to make good power at low boost first. ALSO, have the correct upgrades done to support the boost levels you will be running.

Don't get all hung up on bragging about how much boost you run because it really is meaningless.

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
Well it's very true that every car is different. And of course, bigaaron is right, because there is a lot of tuning to be had when you're still on a stock fuel system.
And just to throw it out there, I wouldn't recommend getting an FCD, either.
VERY bad choice, especially on your stock fuel system. :nono:

thevork:
Since when did 7M get a bad name? As far as I'm concerned around here, it's one bad butt powerplant.

Jeff

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
thevork said:
The 7M is not the most beloved powerplant that's available for the supra,everybody knows that.

Not everybody knows that it's faillures generally come from bad use and maintenance (hence: the owner) , not from bad design.

Is it the most beloved powerplant for the Supra? Of course not.
We all know who takes that trophy home. But that doesn't mean 7M is a bad motor. Most definately not!

And I'll agree with you 100% on the reason why MKIII Supra's in General have a bad reputation. The owners. A lot of people get their Supra and think, "Gee, I need more boost. I need to go faster", instead of what should be done right away. Replacing gaskets/filters/fluids, etc.
And there's no argument that I'm ready for a MHG. I've just moved, switching jobs and things are really tough right now as far as having the moolah goes.
But bottom line, don't let your first modification be a boost controller. :nono:
My .02 for now. I've got things to do.

Jeff

92turbo4life

Banned
Sep 12, 2005
wherever
AGREED^
dont just try to run more boost so u can be fast for a month or 2.. dont take ur exhaust off so u can peg ur boost gauge... i did this and i blew a headgaskett. eh no biggy i did a buildup and did it and i blew a motor.. now i am going to do it right take my time etc... 7m need patients i dont have it but i need to find it.. this motor can and will put u threw hell but that is what makes us owners not drivers!

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
Jspec7m88 said:
Congrats, man.

What sort of goodies do you have that work your 7M and what type of numbers are you putting down?

Well, no dyno run yet and still on stock turbo so i'll be in the 300rwhp range (i hope) with:
fresh block, new everything like pumps and bearings
mhg with arps , bolted down to 107NM.
aeromotive afpr
zeitronix wideband & egt sensor
550cc nippondenso's & Lexus afm (with the ajustment screw)
custom open exhaust & intake
hks ssq bov
hks evc boostcontroller
apexi safc (still untuned, haven't gotten to that yet)
walbro fuelpump

Took me and my friend(s) all winter to do it. Before doing this, changing the battery was a 2-day project LoL.
I love my 7M. :)

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
HAHA. Sounds good.
If you've got a healthy CT26, you should be able to achieve your 300rwhp goal. Although, it depends on how much boost you're running as well.
It's good that you've got upgraded fuel system as well.
Just make sure you get a good tuning job.

And for the record, don't get too crazy with boost.
The CT26 is a hefty stock turbo, but won't take too much abuse after 16+ years of life and double the stock boost, lol.

Jeff

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
Yes thanks I know about the limits all too well.
I was one bad owner who just installed an EVC after the supra purchase only I did not blame the car but myself when the HG blew. :)

I bought a very good -almost not used- stocker from a guy on the forums here, and I run 0.9 bar boost. (that's 13 PSI).
As soon as the turbo starts wearing out i'll buy something better but this one serves its purpose well. No big numbers on my supra yet, but it's very driveable and shows her ass to almost all the cars around here

The tuning I will do myself with my friend who has a very much upgraded supra. He'll teach me how to make logs with the laptop and properly tune the safc.

But aren't we going too much offtopic here? lol :p :biglaugh:

kylefoto

I am not ASIAN!
May 7, 2006
Lynnwood, WA
www.myspace.com
I was just wondering how much it was safe to boost to, I wasn't saying I am going to crank up the boost as soon as I get it, I am not stupid. I know I need to do a MHG and ARP's, I know I need to do a fuel system upgrade, but as stated by jspec, I don't have a lot of money either, not alot of us MK3 owners do.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I've got a low mile JDM motor that has perfect compression and uses NO oil. I would not risk hurting yours by cutting corners too soon. Just for interest, my engine is stock with upgraded MHG, turbo (57 trim) Lex afm and 550's with walbro pump(SAFC also). I boost to 15-17 psi daily and it is rock-solid reliable and FAST. Take your time and wait until you have all your ducks in a row before boosting high and then you can enjoy a 350-400 HP daily driver like me :)