Another 5spd swap ? by me

92Turbo

hondas suck
Apr 19, 2005
NJ
I am about to swap my 92 supra to an r154 trans...I was not planning on changing the rear diff...Is the 5spd diff the same as the auto? Also someone told me that there is a spacer (i believe) behind the flex plate, that I need to remove before I put in the flywheel is this true? Is my gearing/speedo going to be off? I know these might have been answered before but im looking for some reassurance, that my car will work properly If I do the swap and dont change the ECU or diff.

Thanks

mcpcola

7M's = Peoples Champ
Jul 4, 2005
Greater Gulf Coast
I am using a auto harness with and have used both auto and man ecu no problems you will need to jump the neutral safety switch wires so the ecu sees park at all times so it will start.

Justin727

T-virus infected
rear end is the same either way. its the driveshaft that maybe slightly different. iirc the only drive shaft that would be different is the W58 tranny driveshaft but someone please correct me if im wrong.

btw its the lengths of the driveshafts that i was meaning are different

92Turbo

hondas suck
Apr 19, 2005
NJ
yea I allready bought a 5spd drive shaft...I just dont want my speedo to be off? Is there anyone that has done the swap who would not mind talking on the phone so I can try to explain some questions I have?

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
It will be off by a small bit. It depends on what diff you have.
I think you have a 3.91, and the trans was mated up to a 3.73, so it will be a little off, but not a ton. Enjoy the low end pull from the gearing and just do a little math when you see a cop! ;)

92Turbo

hondas suck
Apr 19, 2005
NJ
supra90turbo said:
It will be off by a small bit. It depends on what diff you have.
I think you have a 3.91, and the trans was mated up to a 3.73, so it will be a little off, but not a ton. Enjoy the low end pull from the gearing and just do a little math when you see a cop! ;)

If this is correct does that mean my odometer will read incorrectly too? If so will the miles go up faster or slower?

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
all n/a's cam with 4.30 rear gears
all turbo's before 08/88 came with 3.909 rear gears
all turbo's from 08/88 on came with 3.727 rear gears

having said that, I am assuming that your car is a turbo and as long as the R154 that you got came from a 08/88 or later car, then your speedo will be correct. if its from an earlier car, then the speedo drive and driven gears need to be changed. The driven gear is simple to change, and the drive gear is fairly easy as it just requiers that tail shaft housing to be removed to change.

92Turbo

hondas suck
Apr 19, 2005
NJ
cjsupra90 said:
all n/a's cam with 4.30 rear gears
all turbo's before 08/88 came with 3.909 rear gears
all turbo's from 08/88 on came with 3.727 rear gears

having said that, I am assuming that your car is a turbo and as long as the R154 that you got came from a 08/88 or later car, then your speedo will be correct. if its from an earlier car, then the speedo drive and driven gears need to be changed. The driven gear is simple to change, and the drive gear is fairly easy as it just requiers that tail shaft housing to be removed to change.

Its from a 90, and yes im turbo so I should be ok then...thanks.