Air Filters? Does it matter?

NiGMa

May 4, 2007
Australia
OK, so first up, I'm a newb. I just got my N/A rebuilt because of a BHG, and it actually wasn't a BHG that was causing the major symptom(loosing coolant) but just a loose head. anyways, I want to replce the air filter because its got the same one on their since I bought the car, which is like 5yrs x 10,000kms/yr = 50,000kms.

So I've spent the last few hours trying to research info on the main job of an air filter and which brands are good + not so good on these forums and with google. At the moment the car has a cheapo pod filter that is connected to a custom metal intake pipe.

I saw that link to the site with the comparison of the big brand name filters and the Apexi being the cleanest but I dont want to spend 250-300 AU dollars on an air filter.

So can you guys gimme some tips? Am I spending too time with this, can I just go to a store and buy another cheapo filter? I'd rather not because I wont learn anything that way.

Also, should I expect to notice any difference in performace after I install it? I dont imagine so unless there is a heap of dirt in the thing, but I dont know even know how to check that other than looking at the thing.

Thanks guys =)

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
The HKS SMP filter (the green mushroom) is the only CARB legal system for the NA MKIII Supra as far as i know...

it also happens to be one of the best flowing filters out there...

of course the word "filter" is subjective here, as it doesn't really filter shit...

I should know, I have it on my N/A.......and I love it..:p

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
http://www.simota.com.au/
Im running a simota with the supra adaptor and I love it! There are a lot of sand storms here where I live and it keeps the very fine dust out even. Its also a dry filter so no oil to mess with.
The adapter is listed here
http://www.simota.com/pro_sport_02.php
The website in australia doesn't have good interaction, you can email them though and ask them if they have the adapter for the supra.
Im using the 360 one which is a standard type listed here
http://www.simota.com/pro_fi_360d_f01.php
the neck size is 77mm I beleive.
You will need to come up with some kind of shield to keep the fan from blowing air from the side, I used a plastic bucket and covered it with heat reflctive tape I got at ACE hardware.
The website in australia has a shield that looks pretty nice.

supradavenz

LOL HIES!
Apr 1, 2006
AUCKLAND, New Zealand
i've HEARD they wernt any good simota filters, but thats just heard never used them myself.. Always used K&N on any engine ive loved. I also heard apexi i think it was had a good air filter for a good average filtration and flow specs. apparently K&N are high filtration but low flow filters.. APPARENTLY

Would have throught flow would be more important to a N/A engine but don't skip out to much on filtration.

IMO

NiGMa

May 4, 2007
Australia
Well, more than anything, I'm looking to have the engine last as long as possible, I want to take car of it good. So as far as I can tell, the apexi filters do this job the best, K & N flow good, but are dirty.

supramike7m

92 teal-wn turbo
Jan 29, 2006
prescott, Arizona
apexi are very good filters. they flow better than hks, k&n, blitz, etc. and they also filter the best. k&n flow well but dont filter as well. blitz is ok, hks flow well, but dont filter shit. i took it off my 1j, and just use a cheap dry filter now. i use a k&n on my 7m. but probably gonna swap, they flow well filter pretty good, but they are wet filters, which can screw with the afm on our cars. id say go with apexi.

lifted

Jun 13, 2006
memphis
supramike7m said:
apexi are very good filters. they flow better than hks, k&n, blitz, etc. and they also filter the best. k&n flow well but dont filter as well. blitz is ok, hks flow well, but dont filter shit. i took it off my 1j, and just use a cheap dry filter now. i use a k&n on my 7m. but probably gonna swap, they flow well filter pretty good, but they are wet filters, which can screw with the afm on our cars. id say go with apexi.

second on the apexi, they are pricey but the best always is.

NiGMa

May 4, 2007
Australia

Silvasoup

May 12, 2005
Florida
Imo the Apexi is the way to go as it filters well and I find it gives better throttle response than the stock setup. Like has already been stated don't look for any significant power gains from these filters. As far as cost goes,shop around as I found that they were not that expensive. The Apexi can be cleaned and reused unlike the stock paper filters.

One more thing was when I tried getting The Apexi from one shop they supplied an afm adapter pipe that was made by Apexi with the Apexi filter. Unfortunately the mounting holes on this adapter pipe did not fit the bolt pattern of my afm. I don't know if I received an odd ball part or that adapter was for a different car. I ended up getting the filter elsewhere and using a universal adapter to connect to the afm.

Last edited: