Aftermarket Headers and CA Emissions

chedderknight

PiYauD-BaKa
Apr 4, 2005
Glendale, CA
www.myspace.com
I'm in need to replace my stock headers due to rust and whatnot, I was wondering if I were to go with OBX headers would I still be able to pass smog? would the OBX headers produce enough emissions to fail me? or is it all on the visual that would make the car fail? I plan on replacing the headers and replace the cat with a new one.

emission

1.5JZ powered!
Jun 11, 2005
Long Beach, CA
chedderknight said:
I'm in need to replace my stock headers due to rust and whatnot, I was wondering if I were to go with OBX headers would I still be able to pass smog? would the OBX headers produce enough emissions to fail me? or is it all on the visual that would make the car fail? I plan on replacing the headers and replace the cat with a new one.

I think you should just wire brush it and spray some high temp engine enamel.
I used it on my ex manifold and so far its holding up to the heat.

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
Your best bet is to coat them black and hope they will not notice. Most smog shops will see them right away if you don't have the heat shields.

If you want to be perfectly legal, we offer a lower section upgrade only. The bottom portion of the header modified to full 2.5". This leaves the top 100% stock and won't raise issues at emissions.

I have the lower section upgrade on my MK2 and it pulls nicely. I got the idea from an 80s MK2 race car where they were not allowed to replace the header. The team had the lower section upgraded only and made nice power.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
Like Emission, you could just get it ceramic coated, black or high chrome, and it then you MIGHT be able to say its stock... but it depends on how picky the smog tech is.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
935, where is that "upgraded y pipe" you speak of? i dont see it anywhere on your website... cause i would love to get that y pipe, and then a diy 2.5 exhuast kit for my na.

BlackMKIII

Hardcore Lurker
Jan 6, 2007
Norman, Oklahoma
www.facebook.com
I'll sell you my OBX header. Robert (935) sold it to me before my engine started knocking. He modified it for perfect fitment, too. I'm going 1J and won't need it. I'll sell it to you for 3/4 what I paid for it.

But I can't remember how much I paid for it. LOL.

Edit: QUIT PMING ME. WATCH FOR THE DAMN F/S THREAD. NO "DIBS."

Last edited:

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
The Y pipe upgrade is not on the site yet. I'll have to get it on there, but haven't figured out how to do it as a part. The only thing I can think of right now, is to have people send them in, which is not convenient.

chedderknight

PiYauD-BaKa
Apr 4, 2005
Glendale, CA
www.myspace.com
I was more worried about #'s, visual half/half, from reading thus far, I"m still in debate wether to go full 2.5 or just replace the stock headers with a better conditioned one and do what robert said and upgrade the lower section...is there a noticable difference in full 2.5 system between just the lower pipe and back?

pm's sent

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
Whether or not there is a difference would be debatable. On the Mk2 the lower section is so small that it makes sense. The MK3 one is not as small, so the difference could be less.

It may not transfer into much DYNO wise, but I would say that it can't HURT having a full 2.5" flow at the starting point of the exhaust system.

I can make it 3" too if you like. I considered that on my 7mge setup.

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
just get a stock replacement one,clean it up nice. maybe do a little porting and polishing to make the exhaust flow easier and top it off with a good coating.bake at 350 until brown then...oh wait
the visual smog check might sink you if you go aftermarket