ACT clutch kit.

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
ok guys i been searching for awhile and i found alot of useful information but i havent found exactly what im looking for.
my clutch burned out on me and its time to replace it. i was origonally going to put the spec stage 2+ in it but i have to finish the car by the end of the week and i didnt have time to wait for it to get shipped. so i went to a local speed shop in nyc and they were able to get a ACT heavy duty pressure plate and 6 puck sprung hub for me. anyone have this particular clutch kit and if so how does it handle compared to the stock clutch? my goals for the car is 500 whp. also is it absolutely neccisary to machine the flywheel when changing to clutch or can i just polish it up with a dye grinder and some medium or fine grit sandpaper?? or does it depend on the condition of the flywheel?

any help is much appriciated,
thanks, Vic

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
i would get the correct step on the flywheel. it shouldn't be TOOO big a problem with the ACT.

i will be running the same clutch in the near future. i heard that its a little more grabby than the stock clutch but bareable.

87mk3

umm...
Jan 30, 2008
philadelphia
i got a stage 2 act on my 87 turbo i love it. i also have a eclutchmaster stage 2 laying around if u want it pm me ill send u some pic

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
i guess ill have to take it to the machine shop cuz i dont have time to order a new one and put it in. the machine shop is chargin like 60 bucks to machine it and it'll be back in like few hrs so i guess ill go that route.
lol i wish i was ballin man........all this is an expense that i can barely afford but hey thats they price u gotta pay when u wanna play. lol

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
just to let all u guys kno i finished up puttin in the clutch last night and took her for a spin and let me say it feels great! its very grabby but no where near unmanagable. after the first 10 minutes of driving i was able to moderate the clutch pedal appropriatly. i did stall it out twice but after bit i got use to it.

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
#1StunnaVic;962338 said:
just to let all u guys kno i finished up puttin in the clutch last night and took her for a spin and let me say it feels great! its very grabby but no where near unmanagable. after the first 10 minutes of driving i was able to moderate the clutch pedal appropriatly. i did stall it out twice but after bit i got use to it.

I knew you'll like it. 6-puck FTW :love:

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
ACT has a great reputation. However I purchased one and after it was installed my mechanic told me it had a vibration and felt like it was out of balance. We removed it and mounted it to a hub that allowed it to free spin and sure enough there was a heavy spot that always stopped at the bottom after spinning.

I sent it back to ACT with a video of the problem. They called me back and called me, and mainly my mechanic, DMF's and that "their" products could "not" be defective, and that it was installation error. They even said the test on the video was invalid... So they sent it back and what they didn't realize is that I marked all the balancing holes before I sent it back, and sure enough, there was a fresh drill marks. It was now in perfect balance.

Moral of the story is to always check to make sure even your new "defect free" ACT clutch is balanced before you install it.... I hate liars.....