98 s10 2.2

87soup

F*CK SMOG CHECKS!!!
Jan 23, 2006
Sacramento
Ok so this is my fathers truck, a Chevy S10 2.2L

The problem:
If it sits for a while it will crank over and idle fine, then as soon as you put it in gear it bogs down and dies as if there is no gas.... It has a half tank!
I thought maybe the fuel filter was clogged, changed it and the same problem occurs... Fuel cut only when in gear... Also after it does die it acts like it has no gas for quite some time... I put gas directly into the intake and it starts right up, then dies do to no gas...

What could be causing it to cut fuel when in gear???

Thanks SM!!!!

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
2.2 is FI. Its prob the fuel pump. My 2.8 camaro will crank and start and run for a second then die. It has hardly any fuel pressure. Check the pressure, if its good, come back and ill try again. haha

87soup

F*CK SMOG CHECKS!!!
Jan 23, 2006
Sacramento
Yea.. So I did some poking around on it today to discover NOTHING!!!
The freakin pump costs $260:(
Im going to check the fuel pressure tomorrow and hopefully find something out...

I was thinking maybe clogged injectors as well...

It did start and drive (horribly) for about 5mins. then died and wont start again.. I unplugged the neg for about half and hour to reset the ECU and got nothing...

Thanks for the help Guy's...
Any ideas are welcome and greatly appreciated!!!!

87soup

F*CK SMOG CHECKS!!!
Jan 23, 2006
Sacramento
CryoSlash;1126154 said:
or just replace the pump with a walbro.

I dont think i can... That would be a better solution though, i love mine!!

The truck does have a long tube header and cold air intake:evil2:

Isphius

May 30, 2006
long branch
check the resistance of the injectors. They should all be the same or very close. It may also be the fuel pressure regulator. but that would make it run rich or just dump too much gas in, which can also be the case. run some injector cleaner through it for the hell of it. Tho it is most likely lack of fuel pressure for some reason or the other

Isphius

May 30, 2006
long branch
the idle air control can only raise the idle not lower it. But check your idle, the one with the screw. It should have an MAF...i cant remember. It may be the MAF+MAP system that gm started using in the mid 90s. All the problems of both systems with no benefit! hurray

87soup

F*CK SMOG CHECKS!!!
Jan 23, 2006
Sacramento
Ok.. so after the furl filter change it had some issues but it finaly drove for about ten mins then coughed up all the muck in the system... drove fine!
I turn it off to find out the ignition switch blew out... Thats why it was having starting issues....

New Question:
Does anyone have an i dea how to change out the ignition switch???

I hear its common for them to go out in my generation, I also found out i had to take apart the whole dash to get to it.... Damn Torque bolts all over the place!!!!

Isphius

May 30, 2006
long branch
yes they are a pain you have to drop the steering column and take it apart. I never did it on an s10 but it was a long frustrating job on my monte carlo. Just dont lose anything and take your time. I told you it was the fuel pressure! My grandpa had the 1500 4.3 v6, the TBI one, and it had a dirty injector so it ran pretty bad, he just went down the street and hauled ass, spinning wheels and shit and got to like 60(took a long time), and he came back and it ran fine. He said "i figured that would work". Some crazy stuff can happen when you just go out and mess with stuff lol