7m motor rebuild

bowtiebuba

stangs hate supras
Sep 1, 2005
marion iowa
ok my 7m has a rod knock, dosent really bother me i have other cars, but i want to rebuild my 7m, and was wondering what tips and tricks there are such as the oil pump shiming etc... i did a small search for rebuild info but not much was answerd, also i want to br making 600+ horse so guys like reign marker and mally feel free to chime in with some info i need to get my motor to that point and stay together. also looked at that guide to build a 7m by will neely, ya that dint help

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
bowtiebuba said:
ok my 7m has a rod knock, dosent really bother me i have other cars, but i want to rebuild my 7m, and was wondering what tips and tricks there are such as the oil pump shiming etc... i did a small search for rebuild info but not much was answerd, also i want to br making 600+ horse so guys like reign marker and mally feel free to chime in with some info i need to get my motor to that point and stay together. also looked at that guide to build a 7m by will neely, ya that dint help

shim oil pump

remove engine

rebuild tips

assembly tips

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
i think shimming the oil pump is a bad idea...the motor was designed to have a certain amount of oil pressure and thats that, the ONLY oil pressure mod that i would do is to remove the GTE oil filter bracket, and use the NAs oil filter adapter nut with an oil filter relocation kit, and a Tstat controlled oil cooler.

i WOULD reccomend replacing the spring that you would be shimming with a new one, along with a new oil pump.

TurboOCD

Kitty Eating Buddhist
Apr 8, 2006
DE
Could anyone with a decent brain build an engine? I consider myself pretty smart, but I haven't really messed with the internals of an engine.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
TurboOCD said:
Could anyone with a decent brain build an engine? I consider myself pretty smart, but I haven't really messed with the internals of an engine.

the book tells you exactly what to do, experience is always great but if you can follow directions you can build a motor depending on several conditions, one of them being this;

if everything goes right, you can build a motor following directions. if something dosnt go according to plan, thats where experience comes in to influence your decision making.

TurboOCD

Kitty Eating Buddhist
Apr 8, 2006
DE
lagged said:
the book tells you exactly what to do, experience is always great but if you can follow directions you can build a motor depending on several conditions, one of them being this;

if everything goes right, you can build a motor following directions. if something dosnt go according to plan, thats where experience comes in to influence your decision making.

What book do you recommend?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
There are 100's of little "tricks" us old guys have adopted over the years and this is where experiences comes into play.

If you follow a book to the letter you'll get a good result but most times it could be better/quicker if you have someone as a mentor.

TurboOCD

Kitty Eating Buddhist
Apr 8, 2006
DE
IJ. said:
There are 100's of little "tricks" us old guys have adopted over the years and this is where experiences comes into play.

If you follow a book to the letter you'll get a good result but most times it could be better/quicker if you have someone as a mentor.

I know you definitely know what you're doing. I've always wanted to go to Australia. Maybe I could take an apprenticeship? lol

Reality hits me though. Guess I should just jump in and start learning to rebuild. I really don't know of any places that do engine rebuilds around here.

TurboOCD

Kitty Eating Buddhist
Apr 8, 2006
DE
IJ. said:
LOL ask questions here each step of the way!

I'm happy to help out as are many of the guys here!

It's NOT rocket science :)

Ok the first one. Does it matter what year TSRM (Thanks Lagged) I use when going through the rebuild of the engine? Are there any differences in the engines throughout the different years?

car2

Jan 31, 2006
las cruces, NM
hey just adding my two cents but.... while you're at it and you have the engine out, you should really consider moving the battery to the rear of the vehicle. you cannot imagine the difference it has made for me traction wise. Its not very difficult and once you pass 400 hp, you will need all the good weight transfer you can get!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
BowTie: There are 100's of little things I do while working on a motor not all of them have anything to do with performance but just make life easier down the track.

I do most of them without thinking and only really notice when friends comment during assembly or during a bench racing/building session!

I shim my pumps to a maximum of 5.0mm (actually 4.8mm as the washers I use are 1.2mm each x 4)

This gives me a minimum idle pressure of 32+psi when hot and 80 psi at 3000+