29mpg turbo mkIII

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Not sure what you're talking about with the fuel economy test...

but when I first picked up my Supra down in Southern Indiana...driving back home, I got 26.8mpg (Yes, exactly 26.8 :D) Thank you, Super Monitor. ;)

Jeff

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
Not hard on a thoughtfully modded turbo car -- especially if you have a standalone. You can run way leaner than stock under just about every condition (highway cruising included). The reason Toyota couldn't run that lean from the factory is because leaner mixtures makes a hotter combustion chamber. A hotter combustion chamber means more NOx emissions... Keep in mind that huge wheels/tires will bring down the mpg.

Back in the early 80s when NOx wasn't as regulated, Honda made the CVCC Civic. It basically had a pre-combustion chamber that would ignite a small amount of a normal air/fuel ratio -- then the flame would spread and ignite a much leaner mixture in the main combustion chamber (the mixture in the main combustion chamber was so lean, it could not be reliably ignited by spark plugs).

PS, the article you're looking for is the SCC ultimate car challenge from 2 or 3 years ago...

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
starscream5000 said:
Is it because when on decel most of the fuel in the engine is cut? And idling it puts out a certain amount to keep the engine going?

When you're over ~1600rpm (If I recall correctly -- its in that ballpark) and the throttle is completely closed, you are not injecting any fuel into the engine. That is one of the beauties of fuel injection. However, engine braking slows your car down, so unless you're coming to a stop anyway, it isn't best for gas mileage because you'll just have to accelerate again

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
starscream5000 said:
Is it because when on decel most of the fuel in the engine is cut? And idling it puts out a certain amount to keep the engine going?

What ma71supraturbo said. If you are over fuel cut RPM and have no throttle applied, zero fuel is being injected into the engine. Going down a hill in gear uses no gas, if you are in neutral, you are using gas to keep the engine idling.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Jeff Lange said:
What ma71supraturbo said. If you are over fuel cut RPM and have no throttle applied, zero fuel is being injected into the engine. Going down a hill in gear uses no gas, if you are in neutral, you are using gas to keep the engine idling.

Momentum.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
gixxer750 said:
accelerating down the hill to coast up the next also does wonders for gas mileage.

Ever watch a truck driver get pissed when a big hill is coming up and people jump in front of them and slow down.
then people wonder why traffic is slow as hell.:biglaugh:

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
^Ever notice how fast they slow down if your stuck behind a big rig with no one in front of him and he's getting ready to head up hill? Sucks, bigger turbo and more boost FTW ;).

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
starscream5000 said:
^Ever notice how fast they slow down if your stuck behind a big rig with no one in front of him and he's getting ready to head up hill? Sucks, bigger turbo and more boost FTW ;).

LOL
left lane FTW. hehehhe

They aren't allowed in the far left lane during rush hour here in TN.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
werewolves182 said:
I got 31 MPG in my 1jz supra on the way home form New Jersey (220 miles). Cruising at 90mph.

Level out the HP/Tq/Speed/Weight and you can do that. Highway I always try and keep it to where I barely have to give any gas, this is like 80 for my NA. does wonders for gas mileage.