1jzgte MHG??

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
i read just now on this forum that 1js came with MHG from the factory. is the true? i know that 2j's did but i dunno about the 1j's. if it does then that great! also is mid sump and rear sump the same thing. i read on this forum as well that they are but just wanna double check. thanks

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
yes and yes. You can also use 2jzgte headgaskets in your 1jzgte. Mine has a 2jzgte in it. You can get em from toyota for $110 shipped with careful shopping.

Also when changing a headgasket, always use new bolts, or you'll be doing another headgasket as soon as you put on some decent boost.

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
could an aftermarket headgasket like a cometic or a hks be used without machining the block and head since they have MHG from the factory?
also what is the thickness of a stock 1j headgasket?
im lovin 1j's more and more as the dayz go by. can't wait till mine gets here

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
ughhhh terrible news. the swap i was suppose to get is from a supra. it turns out its from a soarer. i wondering if its still worth it to get or just forget about it and keep on looking. at least the salesman was nice enough to tell me at the last minute thats its a soarer instead of packing it up and shipping it off. i hear that soarer swaps into supra are a real PITA. i think i read a post made by bigaaron sayin that even if u do get the wiring done (which is a nightmare) something about the 5 speed tranny's out of the soarers don't match up when in supras. something with shift linkage??? i think that the soarer r154 has a electronic speed sensor whereas the supra doesnt? i can't remember right now. im stumped. what to do????

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
ok so what if i get a front clip...... i can use basically everything out of it in my swap including mounts and crossmember right? is astigracing a reputable company to buy front clips from? i see they have the cheapest clips around whenever they do get them in.......

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Most Soarer clips have an automatic trans. Most importers play dumb and sell people Soarer clips when they know it's for a Supra, which is why good deals don't always turn out to be good deals. Like annoyingrob mentioned, you could buy the Soarer trans and swap it for a Supra trans and make a few bucks, if you can find a Supra r154 and a Soarer/mk4 guy that needs a trans.
You can get a Supra mk3 trans converted to the lengthend shifter soarer/mk4 style for $250 now, so it's not necessarially going to be worth that much more. One of my importers is in Japan right now, and he's looking for Supra 1jz clips and not seeing anything available at all. I just talked to him yesterday. I do have a 1jz clip available now, and it's a SUPRA JZA70 5SPEED CLIP, not a soarer or a chaser. With a clip you also get a hydrofan, intercooler setup, a harness that is easy to wire into the mk3, ignitor, map sensor, the correct trans for your mk3, ps reservoir for mk3, ps cooler, etc....

Last edited:

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
bigaaron said:
Most Soarer clips have an automatic trans. Most importers play dumb and sell people Soarer clips when they know it's for a Supra, which is why good deals don't always turn out to be good deals. Like annoyingrob mentioned, you could buy the Soarer trans and swap it for a Supra trans and make a few bucks, if you can find a Supra r154 and a Soarer/mk4 guy that needs a trans.
You can get a Supra mk3 trans converted to the lengthend shifter soarer/mk4 style for $250 now, so it's not necessarially going to be worth that much more. One of my importers is in Japan right now, and he's looking for Supra 1jz clips and not seeing anything available at all. I just talked to him yesterday. I do have a 1jz clip available now, and it's a SUPRA JZA70 5SPEED CLIP, not a soarer or a chaser. With a clip you also get a hydrofan, intercooler setup, a harness that is easy to wire into the mk3, ignitor, map sensor, the correct trans for your mk3, ps reservoir for mk3, ps cooler, etc....

i would love to buy one of ur front clips bigaaron but unfortunely it would end up being like 3300 dollars shipped

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
#1StunnaVic said:
i would love to buy one of ur front clips bigaaron but unfortunely it would end up being like 3300 dollars shipped

It would be money well spent. The 24 hour hotline that came with my clip was well worth it..................:biglaugh:
I think Aaron spent a couple hundred dollars on phone calls from Cali to Alabama helping me with my build. Best decission I"ve ever made concerning my car was choosing driftmotion over the so called cheaper clips. Good luck.

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
suprahero said:
It would be money well spent. The 24 hour hotline that came with my clip was well worth it..................:biglaugh:
I think Aaron spent a couple hundred dollars on phone calls from Cali to Alabama helping me with my build. Best decission I"ve ever made concerning my car was choosing driftmotion over the so called cheaper clips. Good luck.

i don't doubt you suprahero. unfortunely im a college student on a budget, although having the luxury of the help hotline from aaron would be much apprciated and wanted by me its just not a luxury i can afford. sux for me right? lol but seriously though i've been studying up on how to do this swap for some time now and although i've never done it before im confident that i will be able to get it done if i take my time and do it correctly. i found all the correct wiring diagrams on 1jz-gte.us so thats one down. im not afraid to mess with the wiring it actually might be the the part of the swap i enjoy the most and probably the most comfortable for me since i been studying that particular aspect the most. i never considered gettin a front clip b4 so hydrofans were never a though for me i was just gonna go electric or mechnical but now that im considering it i gotta look into how thats done. but if i do get the front clip ill just take pics of how its put together and follow that when im reinstalling it in my supra.
hey now i know im no expert here and im sure i'll need some help with somethings but the way i see it is my biggest hurtle will be gettin the motor and tranny in the car. after thats done i can take my sweet time and do everything else ensuring its right before moving on. cuz honestly guys im in no rush to complete the swap but i would like to find one soon cuz they are gettin harder and harder to come across. but once i have a swap im good. time is on my side when it comes to this project. plus i go to school in upstate new york for auto tech and lets face it.... its upstate new york. not much to do around them parts so the longer i took on it it might actually be better for me cuz it will keep my occupied longer.

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
just a question for you guys who have done more than 1 1j swaps. is it really much harder to swap a 1j soarer in a supra as it is to drop a supra 1j in? either way you still have to do the same amount of wiring right??? plus i already have my r154 tranny in my car right now. only reason y i dont wanna use it is because it has 175K on it and not sure how well it will hold up once i start throwing some decent power on it at that mileage.