1jz Valve Clearance??

Kosh

Sep 10, 2007
Edmonton
Hey,
I'm trying to figure out a couple things here.
1) What is Toyota's spec for the valve to rocker clearance?
2) How do i adjust the clearance?

I've been trying to find this info to no avail. I tried understanding the Japanese TSRM but i didn't find anything in it. And the only other info i can find is how to adjust it for the 7m, but even then I'm not fully understanding it. Is it shims that we have to replace in order to change the clearance? Please someone help clear this up for me? Thanks

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
.006" - .010" intake and .008" - 012" exhaust

you adjust by the shims on the buckets.. adjust the size of the shim according to what you need.

Kosh

Sep 10, 2007
Edmonton
tissimo said:
.006" - .010" intake and .008" - 012" exhaust

you adjust by the shims on the buckets.. adjust the size of the shim according to what you need.

wow thanx a bunch. BTW where did you find this info?

oh and what type of shims do i need and where can i get em? What do you use to measure gap? do i have to remove anything besides the valve covers in order to be able to change the shims? I couldn't really tell from the service manual (as its in Japanese). if i do is there a torque spec for the bolts i have to remove?

thanks again

Last edited:

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
To measure the clearance you need some feeler gauges. You only need to remove the valve cover to check clearance, however if you want to actually change the shims, you will need to remove the cams. Shims can be bought at any Toyota dealership. They're the same as 2JZ shims. I believe some Yamaha motorcycles use the same diameter shims too if you need some really strange thickness.

Check the clerances, if they're good, you're all set. If they're bad, pull the cams off, and measure all of the thicknesses as you may be able to just swap some around. If you need new ones, go to the dealership.

Kosh

Sep 10, 2007
Edmonton
annoyingrob said:
To measure the clearance you need some feeler gauges. You only need to remove the valve cover to check clearance, however if you want to actually change the shims, you will need to remove the cams. Shims can be bought at any Toyota dealership. They're the same as 2JZ shims. I believe some Yamaha motorcycles use the same diameter shims too if you need some really strange thickness.

Check the clerances, if they're good, you're all set. If they're bad, pull the cams off, and measure all of the thicknesses as you may be able to just swap some around. If you need new ones, go to the dealership.

if i have to remove the cams then I'm gunna have to go through the bolt pattern from the service manual huh?

the reason I'm checking clearances in the first place is cause I've got a decent amount of valve tick going on.

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
i changed my shims with the cams in the head. Their is a tool that you can buy that pushes the bucket down and another tool to hold the edge of the bucket down so you can pop them in and out. It takes getting used too but definitely is better that removing the cams.

Kosh

Sep 10, 2007
Edmonton
Tim said:
i changed my shims with the cams in the head. Their is a tool that you can buy that pushes the bucket down and another tool to hold the edge of the bucket down so you can pop them in and out. It takes getting used too but definitely is better that removing the cams.

Can you get this tool at like part source or whatever? And is the whole bucket shim thing pretty common or what?

Rich

tunin' tha beast
Jun 2, 2007
the netherlands
Kosh said:
Can you get this tool at like part source or whatever? And is the whole bucket shim thing pretty common or what?

It's a toyota special tool, but you can actually also use a pair of pliers.
And yes, bucket on shim is very common.

You might want to download both the mkiii and mkiv tsrm ;)
mkiii for the body part, mkiv for the engine part

Kosh

Sep 10, 2007
Edmonton
Rich said:
It's a toyota special tool, but you can actually also use a pair of pliers.
And yes, bucket on shim is very common.

You might want to download both the mkiii and mkiv tsrm ;)
mkiii for the body part, mkiv for the engine part

Good call on the mkiv for the engine part. Are most of the engine things pretty common? ie. torque specs?

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
it is not a toyota specific tool. You can get the tool from any Matco, Mac, or Snap-on tool guy, and it is very commen. Its cheap, like 30$ OR SOMETHING.I work for Nissan and we use the same tool and the same shimming technique for the KA24de. It saved me a bunch of time shimming my cams.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Kosh said:
Good call on the mkiv for the engine part. Are most of the engine things pretty common? ie. torque specs?
Yeah, torque specs are very close between motors. You can find a 1JZ engine manual if you want (there's a link on the forum somewhere to download it), but 2JZ specs work.

Kosh

Sep 10, 2007
Edmonton
annoyingrob said:
Yeah, torque specs are very close between motors. You can find a 1JZ engine manual if you want (there's a link on the forum somewhere to download it), but 2JZ specs work.

Well i do have the japanese version. The torque specs on the cam bolts are like 200 kg*cm or whatever the units are so its about ~14 ft*lb...sound about right?

Last edited: