1JZ-GTE swap

KN70

May 13, 2006
Calgary
Hello. I am planning on dropping a 1JZ-GTE into my 86 mkIII supra. Does anyone know if its a direct bolt on, or do I need addtional parts and such? Thnx.

87CandyBlueT

Banned
Feb 8, 2006
Kentucky (NKY)
Not sure what you mean by engine swap being bolt on. Sorry not trying to be a dick or anything. Are you talking about the motor mounts you have from i assume 7mge work with the 1jz. I'm not sure if they do but I do know that their are other things you will have to do to successfully swap the 1jz. I have been thinking about doing the 1jz swap as well, I don't think I'm going to because their doesn't seem to be a large aftermarket for them.

cormschr

Nov 15, 2005
Rochester, NY
Just pretty much finished my 1j swap into an 86 mk3. don't make the mistake i did and find the cheapest clip possible(flashoptions). it turns out to be more expensive than jarco or some other reputable clip importer after you've finished replacing all the broken shit they send you. also it's not that difficult overall if you do the research ahead of time.

trdmk3supra

LVNBSTLFE
Mar 31, 2005
Summerville, South Carolina
you will either need a front crossmember from a late 89+ supra or you can by the adapters from bic performance which have had very good reviews. you will also need to extend the harness if you can also get the cluster from the clip with the 1jz tach that is also better or you could just put in an aftermarket tach.

87CandyBlueT

Banned
Feb 8, 2006
Kentucky (NKY)
I've heard good things about Jarco. Bill there is a really good guy. What are the specs of a stock 1jz thats in perfect working condition. Whats a good round figure $$$ for the average 1jz into an MA70? I have been contemplating an engine swap forever. I love my 7m. So far I'm narrowed to the obvious ones that have been done. rebuild my 7mgte, 1jz swap, 2jz swap, and have been highly contemplating a 1UZ-FE swap possibly with a custom turbo kit. I have heard the shelf life on the 1uz-fe is 400k miles. Can anyone verify that info.? I think I would love the torque of a lexus v8 in my supra and I heard a sound clip of a 1uz-fe N/A in an mk3 was a beautiful note. However I think their would be a lot more fabricating for the 1uz-fe, has anyone here done the lexus v8 swap?

KN70

May 13, 2006
Calgary
trdmk3supra said:
you will either need a front crossmember from a late 89+ supra or you can by the adapters from bic performance which have had very good reviews. you will also need to extend the harness if you can also get the cluster from the clip with the 1jz tach that is also better or you could just put in an aftermarket tach.

Where may I find a place to purchase these adapters from? And how much are they?

inline6

Whistle>Whine
Sep 22, 2005
SoCal
BICperformance or you can get them through horsepowerfreaks. They are 175 IIRC and they work/fit extremely well.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
check in the authorized vendors section here, everyone has quality parts and quality customer service