1jz gte swap into a 89 7mgte. I need help and advice and opions.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Currently car is 89 7mGTE R-154 Transmission

so my 7mgte blew the head gasket. so i decided i am going with a 1JZ.

I need help on heads up with the swap and any good place to source the motor trusted places and cheap ones i have about $2,000

i have a R-154 i can use my question will i need a drive shaft?

And do i need a rear sump or front sump engine? any info is welcome any advice and even opions are welcome

Thankyou all for the help in the past and future

Jordan

tye-bo

Japandy!
Sep 6, 2009
Lawndale
Don't know where to source an engine, but your R154 driveshaft will work. You'll need a rear sump pan, and pickup tube. The pans can be picked up new for around $500 or you can source them from 2JZ-GE's out of the early Lexus SC300's (you may be able to pick up an entire used engine for less than the cost of a new pan.)

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
you will need a bell housing . For a 1 jz $350 new. Flywheel for a 1jz $200. Rear sump for a 1jz $350.1jz brackets for engine $100. That's $1000 and you still need a 1j plus more parts I didn't mention. $2000 isn't gonna get it. Unless you get someone to cut you a sweet deal.

tye-bo

Japandy!
Sep 6, 2009
Lawndale
I'm not sure on the wiring side of this engine, but if you only get the engine you'll also need to buy a 1JZ bellhousing to mate it up to the R154. Then you'll need a 1JZ flwheel, but the 7M-GTE clutch bolts up to the 1J flywheel. I'd recommend replacing the hoses on it while its out anyway, the radiator hoses are the same ones off of the 93-95 turbo Supras. That particular engine has the Hydro Fan setup, so to run your stock radiator, you'll need a 2JZ-GTE water pump, and an LS400 fan clutch in order for it to fit.

tye-bo

Japandy!
Sep 6, 2009
Lawndale
Yea, just swap the tail-housings on the transmissions. You'll still need hoses and the motor mount adapters.

tye-bo

Japandy!
Sep 6, 2009
Lawndale
You'll need to get all of the body circuits, like ignition switch, reverse lights etc. wired in. Its actually pretty easy, either way you'll have to have the harness lengthened for it to fit onto your car. Because that engine from the factory had the ECU on the passenger side for Japan, (our Driver's side)

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
That one should have everything you need. It says it came from a supra so you should have the bell housing, r 154, flywheel, brackets. That's why it cost more . Just make sure and ask him if it is in fact a jza70 swap.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
What are your goals for the car?

A good list of what you need is hard to just come up with, because there are so many variables that come into play..
For example, you might buy a 1JZ that needs all these things - turbos, ecu, hoses, etc. These are getting to be 20 year old engines and they will need to be freshened up.

I would budget in a gasket set, water pump, timing belt (maintenence)
As mensioned, you need to get a harness extention, that will range from $3-500ish

Everything from the clutch back is just a normal 7M MKIII, everything from the flywheel foward is gonna be different (JZ)

Sam

tye-bo

Japandy!
Sep 6, 2009
Lawndale
I went with the 1JZ, complete 2J swaps are generally more money to get the engine. I have a horsepower goal and a budget, the 1J meets both of those needs. I'm also doing all of the work besides welding, which definitely cuts down on cost.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
tye-bo;1650072 said:
I went with the 1JZ, complete 2J swaps are generally more money to get the engine. I have a horsepower goal and a budget, the 1J meets both of those needs. I'm also doing all of the work besides welding, which definitely cuts down on cost.

What kind of welding to you plan on doing? Look into phoenixtuning.com for your wiring harness extension.
Its pricey but worth every penny. Do it ALL right the first time!

S.A. supra;1650074 said:
Yeah thanks. My 1j crapped out on me so I'm going 2jzgte. Now those 7m guys can't make fun of me any more.

Both 1JZs and 2JZs are mechanically identical, minus the mensioned .5 liters extra.

Sam