1j vs. 7M

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Disclaimer: This was probably just a really vivid dream I had. :)

My car: 7M turbo, DDP, exhaust, intake and MBC with 10-12 lbs depending on gear. The engine is also low compression in 4 cylinders.

The 1JZ: LHD TT, 3" exhaust (cat back)

We each had a passenger and overall passenger weight was roughly the same.

The race:

The events took place during the Annual meet we have up here in Toronto. I was leading ~12 cars on a 3 hr cruise up North of Toronto so I was behaving quite well trying not to lose anyone. When we finally got onto a large highway we brought the speeds up to a nice 120+ km/h.

At this point one of the more aggressive members of my group pulled up along side me and proceeded to go WOT for a few gears. I watched and him take off but remained in line leading the pack. A few miles later we had caught up to the Dark green Mk3.

He pulled into the left lane and I pulled up beside him. We then proceeded to slow down to ~80 in a 100 zone, this was a pretty cool moment. Me looking in my mirror and seeing nothing but Mk3's behind me, and nothing but open road ahead. I look over and see the driver of the Mk3 looking back at me from what should have been the passenger seat. He shifts down, I follow suit.

There were no honks, no signals, but we both managed to take off at the same time. There was no lag for either car. 1J stock twins vs. a stock CT w/ a DDP. By the end of third gear I had pulled a fender. Shift hard to fourth and proceed to put 1-1.5 lengths on the gorgeous, green TT. The redline is coming up fast so I shift to fifth at ~6200 and keep pulling. I think I maxed out at about 2 cars lead and then my lead started to go away. He gained on me a few seconds into fifth but at that time I deceided to let off. The other driver thought the same and let off as well.

We had now completely lost the rest of the pack and had to drive under the speed limit to let them catch up. This was a pretty good day and good times were had by all. I really wish I had a video because I bet it looked pretty cool.

Anyways, how does this experience stack up with what should have happened/has happened to all of you?

89turbotoy

2 89 supras 2jzgte/single
Jul 30, 2006
cincinnati
Well a freind of mine has a bpu 1jz and ran a 14.7 @ the track and when i was on stock ct and bpu on 18 inch wheels with 2.4 60 foot times (just like him) i ran a 14.4. so i think acceloration 7m you know 7m's have something a 1j knows nothing about... torque. however judging from your story 1j may have better top end.

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
kwnate said:
Man, the driver of the 1j can't drive or his car is just slow. I have a y pipe, exhaust and intercooler on my 1j. Stock boost I ran 13.0 @107mph.

318whp, 303torque.

When are we gonna get a time for the 7m monster?:naughty:

89turbotoy

2 89 supras 2jzgte/single
Jul 30, 2006
cincinnati
kwnate said:
Man, the driver of the 1j can't drive or his car is just slow. I have a y pipe, exhaust and intercooler on my 1j. Stock boost I ran 13.0 @107mph.

318whp, 303torque.
he just has exhaust and intercooler. but both our 60 foot times sucked and he is also new to drag racing so you are right he needs some driving help.
P.S. nice time!

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
kwnate said:

318whp, 303torque.

I was gonna say that 1j is holding back. maybe he's missing a plug somewhere? maybe around where his stock bov goes. :biglaugh:

Darrel's stock 1j did 13.7 didnt it? Stock 1j vs stock ct26 7m = win for the 1j.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
If I had installed that 1jz you would have lost. :biglaugh: Good kill though!

Dave's 1jz with stock y-pipe on stock twins and a stock intercooler ran a 13.2 at 106 at 5k ft elevation.

Last edited:

supramike7m

92 teal-wn turbo
Jan 29, 2006
prescott, Arizona
nice kill. i dont see how thats hard to belive? with those mods both cars are probably running about the same horsepower numbers. maybe about 300? but you gotta remember, the 7m actually has some torque.:naughty:

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
I don't doubt you won.

Had the 1J car had a couple more bolt ons, I think you would be seeing taillights though...

Car could have been down on power like you say your car is with low compression.

But a race is a race. And if you won, then cool. :) No excuses. No amount of bench racing can accurately predict every outcome.

I've yet to lose to CT26 Supra with comparable mods.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
supramike7m said:
the 7m actually has some torque.:naughty:
On that note as well, I've never been in a race with a 7M where the 7M car's "superior" torque allowed them any kind of jump or lead early on in the race.

Especially when racing off a roll... my experiences show all that low end torque doesn't mean jack shit. If I nail the gas in the correct gear off a roll(anything above 3000RPM), power is there lightning quick and I'm gone.

It's not like a stock twin 1J has a problem with torque anyway. My car made 280ft/lbs at 3000 and peak torque was 289.

Last edited:

BlackMKIII

Hardcore Lurker
Jan 6, 2007
Norman, Oklahoma
www.facebook.com
I have to agree with Joe here. On the freeway, if you can keep a 1JZ in it's powerband, it will beat a comparably modified 7M.

Plus two turbos would build boost faster than one.

I'm not calling BS or anything, just stating my opinion.

Can't wait for my 1JZ! :naughty:

need new tires

rubber slinger
Nov 10, 2005
Dayton,Ohio
89turbotoy said:
Well a freind of mine has a bpu 1jz and ran a 14.7 @ the track

well that was on the first time ever to the track. his best run is a 14.1@99mph.85 degrees

his set up is a
full weight 92
1jz stock boost
stock y pipe with 3" back with nurl spec
intake
hard pipes with ebay IC, hks BOV.
he has to work on the driver mod tho.

-shane

supramike7m

92 teal-wn turbo
Jan 29, 2006
prescott, Arizona
why you guys raining on his parade? face it he beat a 1jz, whether you want to beleive it or not. like i already said, they are probably aobut the same power, and obviously weigh the same. same power to weight ratios here guys. how is that hard to understand? and sawbladez can drive better than the other guy. cars are even, drivers are not. the end.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
supramike7m said:
why you guys raining on his parade? face it he beat a 1jz, whether you want to beleive it or not. like i already said, they are probably aobut the same power, and obviously weigh the same. same power to weight ratios here guys. how is that hard to understand? and sawbladez can drive better than the other guy. cars are even, drivers are not. the end.

Awwwww, you knew exactly what you would be reading when you clicked on "1j vs. 7m" :icon_razz

DISCLAIMER:
ANY 1JZ VS 7M THREAD WILL MOST LIKELY CONTAIN POTENTIALLY OFFENSIVE COMMENTS.
:biglaugh:

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
Don't know why this race is hard to believe...

I crushed a 1J MK3 when I still had the 7M in my car...mind you, I had a *lil* bit more power...teehee...

supramike7m

92 teal-wn turbo
Jan 29, 2006
prescott, Arizona
bigaaron said:
Awwwww, you knew exactly what you would be reading when you clicked on "1j vs. 7m" :icon_razz

DISCLAIMER:
ANY 1JZ VS 7M THREAD WILL MOST LIKELY CONTAIN POTENTIALLY OFFENSIVE COMMENTS.
:biglaugh:

lmao, true, true.

just curious aaron, did you ever run the auto 1j down the 1/4? just curious what its capable of with an auto, i took down a z4 the other day, some chick.