1j is overheating...help

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
ok so after i did my swap i noticed that my 1j was overheating slowly. i soon realized that i was missing the hydrofan ecu so i automatically thought that was the problem. i got a hydrofan ecu out of a V6 camry which i was told that it would work. the hydrofans do come on and push air instead of slowly spinning (the way it was b4 i put in the ecu) but it is still overheating!!! im stumped. im guessing that maybe because i bypassed the heater core this may have something to do with it???? (i accidently put a whole in it when i was drilling the firewall to run the harness but i have a new one which i will install shorty) could it just be air in the system? im gonna put in the heater core and burp the cooling system and see what happens but i do believe that i burped it already yet it still overheating. although when i burped it it was flat in the bay.... should i try raising the front end up? any suggestions would be greatly apprciated.
thanks

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
thermo opening? any compression going into the coolant?

Try a big funnel so the fill point is the highest in the car. Squeeze the air out of any hoses that have low sections etc.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
Try burping the system like aphxero said first

mine did this exact same thing. i put a new t-stat in it and still it was doing it. then i thought it was the pump, so i cut the stock tstat (not new one so i could return it) up to where it'd be open but still have the round seal on it. then i put it back together and started the car, instant water flow, well i drove it with no tstat for a month or so then went and bought ANOTHER tstat (said it was for a 98 supra cause i got one from a 94 the first time) put it in and its been working great ever since (6 months or so)

so basically, burp the system. if that doesn't work, get a new t-stat from a 98 supra.

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
if you have not replaced the t-stat i strongly suggest that you do it might be stucked closed and try to burp it again as already mentioned. also, are you using the stock rad, if so you may want to have it flushed really good to clean it so it will cool better.

hope this helps you.

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
i hope it helps to....i was thinking that it might b that the camry hydrofan ecu might not b quite right but im probably wrong about that one. as soon as i plugged it in the hydrofans kicked on.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
I also strongly suggest you look at the Radiator cap. !!!

Mine was getting slight hot and I could not determine why until I looked at the cap. The rubber thingy was deteriorated and was almost falling apart. After I changed it, all issues of that were gone. I think this part is quite overlooked and should not be. I know I did that mistake .... hope this helps man.

how is the conditionof the radiator??

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
the radiator is outta the front clip. it looks pretty mint, alot better condition than the 7m radiator and the 7m was overheating like this one is

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
suprastanger507mgte;895015 said:
I also strongly suggest you look at the Radiator cap. !!!

Mine was getting slight hot and I could not determine why until I looked at the cap. The rubber thingy was deteriorated and was almost falling apart. After I changed it, all issues of that were gone. I think this part is quite overlooked and should not be. I know I did that mistake .... hope this helps man.

how is the condition of the radiator??

oh yeah that too. I got the stant 16psi cap, works great.

As for the heater core not sure bypassing it would cause the slow overheating you are describing. I'n not running hydrofan so I can't help you with that but others may. I didn't trust the stock rad and the hydrofan not saying it's bad though so I converted my cooling system with 2jz water pump and clutch fan and in the process I replaced everything related, t-stat, cap, new oem radiator with new fan. It's working great for me.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
#1StunnaVic;895051 said:
ill burp the system and flush the rad out and if that doesnt work then ill buy a new t stat and cap.

i say do the t stat and cap now when you flush... less work when you do it at once :D

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
aphxero;895837 said:
And get some redline water wetter. It's awesome.

I think the water wetter is more effective when you are actually running straight water and no coolant. Its not very effective with coolant. I readi on one of the hot rod sites.

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
suprastanger507mgte;895906 said:
I think the water wetter is more effective when you are actually running straight water and no coolant. Its not very effective with coolant. I readi on one of the hot rod sites.

Wow really? Never knew that. It's always seemed to work for me. Maybe it was wishful thinking? Link?

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
could be clogged radiator. my 7m was overheating due to that, changed everything other then the hg and radiator. changed out the hg and it stayed a decent amount cooler but would still slowly overheat. figured since i changed everything else it must be the radiator..changed that out added some water wetter and my cooling issues were cured. also i think it even says on the water wetter bottle itself it performs best with straight water.

SPD TRP

Formerly 3rdtimearound
Apr 12, 2005
Katy Texas
Hey Vic, is this the motor you got from astigracing?

If so, did you ever get the other parts you were short on your clip?

Wayne

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
no i never got them man and i know that i wont get them. im done with astigracing man i want nothing to do with them. they simply arent worth my time. i just gotta cut my losses man.

SPD TRP

Formerly 3rdtimearound
Apr 12, 2005
Katy Texas
#1StunnaVic;896905 said:
no i never got them man and i know that i wont get them. im done with astigracing man i want nothing to do with them. they simply arent worth my time. i just gotta cut my losses man.

Is this the engine you got form them?