1j driveability problems.

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
ok so i thought that my iscv was messed up and so i swapped it out with my freinds and it was still the same problem. the rpm would go up and down and up and down until it warmed up and then it would idle at about 1200-1500. but it didnt bother me all that much so i left it alone. lately when i would be driving around i would notice a pop coming from the exhaust almost like it was a backfire and the car would sputter a but i never paid much attention because it rarely happened. last friday however i started her up and she gave me a real rough start. i tried cranking her over 3 times and on the 3r time she started after i pressed the throttle a bit. the the idle going up and down would continue even after the car warmed up and i continued to hear the popping from the exhaust and motor and you could just hear the motor running really roughly. it wouldnt say it was a misfire because it wasnt running that rough but more like a sputter. i wanna say that it is the tps sensor but im not sure. the car runs like crap when its plugged in and wen i unplug it the idle goes up to like 3500 or so but the rough running goes away. the next day i went out to start her up again and it was acting normal (idling at 1200-1500). then on friday and sunday when i started it up the same syptoms were occuring. any advice you guys can give me? i thought it waqs fuel related at first and maybe my fuel pump might be going bad but i second guess that now since the problem is intermitent. any insight to this would be greatly appriciated. im going to test the tps with my freinds so i know for sure whether its that or not but if it is where can i get a 1j tps?? does anyone know if the mr2 tps sensor works? i've heard of that before and if so what year mr2 should i use????

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
no help from anyone? ok then well i tried to pull the flash codes from the car and i jumped pins te1 and e1 and i got nothing. can anyone at least tell me if im jumping the right pins? i remember reading that they are the same pins as the 7m.

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
did some research when looking for something totally different from this problem im getting and i stumbled across a few threads about pulling flash codes and some guys who were having the same problem as me........ the car barely starts and then stalls right out. and when i can get it started its sputtering and dying out. they also tried to pull flash codes and werent getting any and from what i read it could be the ignitor, ecu, or wiring b/t the 2. i checked my spark and all the plugs are getting spark, however the spark seems pretty weak. one of the plugs were really white when i pulled it out the cylinder. can anyone verify that this is correct? if so im gonna try and borrow a freinds ecu and ignitor to see if that fixes it. im also gonna pull my ecu out today and check the caps...

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
yea i never said the caps looked good, i never even opened the ecu prior to today. when i finally pulled it out this afternoon i saw at least 1 visably bad capacitor. so im gonna see if i can get the time to find all the correct caps and replace them myself, or if i don't have time ill just send it out to driftmotion to get repaired.