15 mpg, running REALLY rich. Any ideas?

Daves929

PNW Bike Whore
Mar 8, 2007
Spokane, WA
Hey guys, getting about 15 mpg right now, fouling plugs and screwing up my O2 sensor. Thinking it's my AFM acting funky. I pulled it out and it was really dirty, covered in oil and crap? Cleaned it up, and still has problems, crappy gas milage, and O2 sensor will randomly throw a code and then car runs like crap.

Bought a used unit and put it in and the car won't even stay running, so I got ripped off eh?

Does anyone have a used stock AFM that they know works properly so I can fix this darn thing?

My car is an 87, I hear 87 to 89 uses the same sensor? Or does any MKIII AFM work?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
Daves929;1066503 said:
Hey guys, getting about 15 mpg right now, fouling plugs and screwing up my O2 sensor. Thinking it's my AFM acting funky. I pulled it out and it was really dirty, covered in oil and crap? Cleaned it up, and still has problems, crappy gas milage, and O2 sensor will randomly throw a code and then car runs like crap.

Bought a used unit and put it in and the car won't even stay running, so I got ripped off eh?

Does anyone have a used stock AFM that they know works properly so I can fix this darn thing?

My car is an 87, I hear 87 to 89 uses the same sensor? Or does any MKIII AFM work?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

Dam with your afm all dirty like that I would think it was that. Did you reset your computer after u cleaned it?

Also is your 02 sensor working properly as well? What code is it throwing?